Best vaccuum cleaner, £200

Well it very much depends on how the beater gets its energy, most seem to use the airflow which obviously reduces the suction and also means that sometimes 'stuff' gets trapped inside the turbine. One other thing I had not realised when I bought my otherwise good Vax was that the base is so low to the floor that it hits those edging strips at doorways for th carpet, resulting in great gouges taken out of the cleaner bottom.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Normally stated as "On the gripping hand" from a race of aliens invented by Larry Niven who have 3 arms ...

Reply to
Huge

I still have a DC01 and there are plenty of Dyson-branded parts on eBay.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

I could deffo do with an extra arm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I remember seeing an entire end aisle devoted to Dyson parts in IIRC Currys. Two ways of looking at it - nice to have spares readily available, but they're not going to take up valuable floor space with things that sell only occasionally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And my replacement hose came from Dyson Customer Service and was delivered no sooner or later than any other online service.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Huge

No breakages - they are all service items.

My Panasonic is neither light weight or was particularly cheap. But certainly less than a Dyson was at the time - although they've reduced their prices since.

What does a 'service' do on a vacuum cleaner? If it requires a visit for that, no thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An extra pair would be even better - and keep you out of danger. After all, fourarmed is forewarned.

Reply to
PeterC

I'm not surprised. As I said, getting them from Dyson direct was a forlorn hope.

I ordered filters and spare belts. Two weeks later... nothing.

Phoned them to ask when they'd be dispatched. "We don't know. They're dispatched from a different building."

"On the same site?"

"Yes."

"Can you ask them?"

"They're not on the phone."

"Can you go over there?"

"We're not allowed."

They were perfectly prepared to cancel the order, though.

That strikes me as terrible customer service but YMMV.

Reply to
mike

I'm delighted to hear that delivery times from all online services have now been standardised. When did this happen? Is it an EU thing?

From reading as much of his autobiography as I could bear, I get the impression a lot of the enthusiasm for his products has more to do with a personality cult than actual good design.

But I do like this review of his book Against the Odds (I believe "My Struggle" was already taken by some Austrian writer):

"The book shows just how great an inventor Dyson is, with inspriation greater than Brunel and Edison." -- Docklands News, February, 2001

Yup, I think we can all agree that the Clifton Suspension Bridge would be so much better if it just had some purple plastic highlights.

Reply to
mike

I'd /almost/ not buy his tat on principle.

Reply to
RJH

I remember a purple plastic widget at the end of the hose breaking on a Dyson a number of years ago, and when I talked to customer service they could only sell the entire hose assembly to which someone had already attached the widget that I actually needed - at suitable expense, of course. In the end I was lucky enough to find someone locally whose Dyson had exploded, so I was able to obtain what I needed from them.

Yes, it costs them money to maintain a spares inventory, but I couldn't help but feel that they were milking it a bit; it's not difficult to forsee that the plastic widget at the end of the hose is surely going to fail far more often than the bit of metal pipe to which it was attached (and in an ideal world it probably shouldn't have been made from plastic in the first place)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Also an excellent machine, for all that they're crude and noisy: mine must be 10 years old now and has been sucking up all kinds of shit, wet and dry, in my plumbing work. Even with the 3 wet&dry filters I've bought for it over the years it's cost me under £100!

Reply to
YAPH

Why do Dyson design everything to look like a space ship?

Bit like Hitachi power tools - everything looks like a ray gun.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And Makita are doing a B&W (retro?) version with their Anniversary models.

Reply to
polygonum

A fisher price spaceship...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It's uncanny how much like Dyson-designed spaceships these look, particularly the Cybo-Interceptor which looks like something Dyson and Clive Sinclair would come up with after a lock-in at the boozer:

mike

I'm not aware of Brunel stealing others' ideas all that much, even allowing for invention being an amalgam of what had gone before from differing fields. Edison did that all the time - notoriously, so a fitting pre-cursor of Dyson.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Inventor of the steam-powered bollockbarrow, don't you know?

Reply to
Jules Richardson