Best type of central heating

I don't think scientific opinion is divided at all.

Political opionion may be as is opinion from various interest who have axes to grind.

Independent scientists however are finding far too much accurate correlation to be completely wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Welcome to Drivels idiocies.

Unless you also install heatr excahnges in a forced air ventilatotion system, you are already beyind what is necessary - air changes alone will wreck the insulation levels.

Until nucelar power gets to be the sort of penny a Kwh it ought to be, you are stuck with buring fossil fuels of some sort.

Install a wet heating system, and change to electric boiler when they build the power stations.

If in the sticks, wood burbning fires and stves are somewhat 'greener' and you can add plenty of nxious dioxins to the atmosphere as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you take a look at previous postings from Dr Evil/IMM you'll find that a fair bit of what he claims is beyond many people :-)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Is THAT who it is!

I hadn't realised ... doh ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I did think about mentioning it, but it isn't really a viable alternative - how much of our energy could realistically come from wind?

Reply to
Grunff

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote [oil tanks] | You can build follies round em too.

But if the folly has the purpose of concealing the oil tank, does it not then cease to be a folly?

| Best form of central heating is a lot of different ones. | Ive got a gravity feed aga, and electric pumped boiler, | two open fires and a wood stove. | One way or another we keep from hypothermia.

Cats are a pretty useful back-up too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh yes. In fact there have been suggestions that he's got a couple of other sock puppets that he uses when posting here. For some reason his use of various disguises put me in mind of the Unigate(?) adverts from years ago. "Watch out, watch out, there's an IMM about"

:-)

Cheers,

John (Emphatically not Adam/IMM/Dr Evil/etc.)

Reply to
John Anderton

Such as?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The government aims for 20-25% and around 30% of homes (not 30% of power) to have a Stirling engine mCHP boiler giving distributed power generation. The first 500 are being installed now.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Your comments about electronic de-scalers in the "Hard water" thread about five days ago spring immediately to mind.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Depends how many birds you're prepared to chop up! They're just installing a load of them (wind turbines, not birds) out to sea right here...

Come to that, what about hydro?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well as they run the place you better take not of what they say.

Look at the 20-25% bit. That is a clue.

Natural gas, which is 80% efficient when creating power locally, which electricity is about 35% efficient from the station.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

First off, I don't give a crap what the government aims for - it is meaningless.

Second - please tell me what your statement has to do with wind.

Third - what fuel will these mCHP boilers run off? Nuclear?

Reply to
Grunff

I always thought it best to use wind to pump water to a mountain top lake and use the water for hydro power on-demand. Wind may produce a lot during the night when demand is low.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The government aims for all sorts of things, but doesn't even seem to be able to manage to do so correctly in the toilet.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My objection to wind is a purely logical one - how much of the country would need to be covered by turbines to provide say 80% of our energy?

It's a better option than wind, certainly, but still not really a solution.

The problem is this. The only way to reduce CO2 emissions (whether we need to is another matter) in any real sense over the next 50 years is by switching to nuclear. But the same people who get worked up about climate change (mostly) also get worked up about nuclear power.

Reply to
Grunff

I have one and it works. Look at this. A major maker has them on their kit.

left corner on the pipe. It is plainly clear you haven't a clue. But this is the Internet where idiots and fools can be heard as easily as the experts.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You don't get it, do you? It still increases the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Reply to
Grunff

If you stick a pipe up your arse and live on lentils and sprouts, quite a bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have been told! No more than 25% and most will be offshore.

We don't have enough high mountains to create dams.

What balls!!!! Energy efficient appliances can be made mandatory. microCHP boilers are now feasible and are available and being installed. Houses can be made to superinsulation standards, which is no big thing. Passive solar orientation of homes can be mandatory. It all adds up. Or you can use the Testatika machines in every house, that produces 3-4kW of electricity and consume no energy whatsoever. Energy problem solved and no buying oil from Middle Eastern governments, who sue the money to wage terror on the people they took the money from.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil