Best stuff for making black bumpers like new?

I've tried the Simonize? stuff but it doesn't penetrate and wipes off. Any experiences? TIA.

Reply to
brass monkey

Paint them the cars body colour?

boot polish, on of those boot polishing/shine bottle thingies with a pad on the end,

give the bumper a damn good clean with thinners before applying anything, as most likely it's clogged up with silicone based 'polishes' i.e. back to black etc, which is prolly whats preventing anything penetrating the pores of the bumper material.

Reply to
Gazz

+1

As Gazz said, preparation is the key. Doesn't matter much what you put on if you're putting it on a dirty base.

For a quick shine, or if you're just selling it and want it tarting up, WD40 does a reasonable job, as does smooth Peanut Butter!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

What are they made of - and what sort of black? My old SD1 has black bumpers that are forever getting scraped so I just re-spray them with matt black every once in a while. But they are fibreglass, not rubber or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, 'whatever' covers it, some form of plastic. It's a Renault Trafic camper and not just the bumpers, all of the black trim would look good sorted.

Reply to
brass monkey

It won't penetrate.

I use shoe polish. Actually Kiwi's Parade Ground extra-shiny bull polish, as it's a bit harder. Doesn't last forever, but it's easy enough to re-apply.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You can get a temporary improvement by wiping them over with Swarfega on a damp sponge. A trick told me by a car valeter...

Reply to
Huge

I used a Halfords "Back to Black" product .... did the job for me.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I'm just going to wait until the next door neighbour has hit my bumper a few more times and then spray my black bumper to match the colour of his car.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Heh! I watched "fools" and was wondering what your pleasant and friendly greeting from the window was going to be ... don't any cars have handbrakes round your way?

Reply to
Andy Burns