Best product for fixing surface cracks in painted plaster?

I'm not sure what to use! Unibond's "No more cracks"? The cracks are small enough that they'd need a syringe with a fine needle to inject anything into them. Or shall I just paint over them?

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

You can hide *very* small cracks - maybe 0.2mm - simply by painting over them. With anything 0.5mm upwards, I always rake them out with a screwdriver or chisel point to make them a bit bigger - then slightly over-fill them with polyfilla, and sand down level when set.

Whereas the tubes of flexible 'decorators' filler are good for gaps round skirtings and architraves etc., I have always found them totally useless for filling cracks in flat surfaces.

Reply to
Set Square

Having done a bit of work in the car bodywork area when trying to repair a chunk that had been hacked out of a coving i used car body filler. IMo much easier to use as its very sandable and dries quickly too. You can use it --

Reply to
Rob Convery

In message , Mr Fizzion writes

I used 'Fine Surface filler' from a local diy emporium. It is a very fine grained filler, spread it into the crack with a wide bladed filling knife, it will be almost smooth. when dry (it dries pretty quick) just run over it with some finish sandpaper and repaint.

Paint alone will fill some cracks, but then of course you find those that it doesn't....

You don't need to repaint the whole wall. with most emulsion syou can just touch up the area concerned.

Reply to
chris French

The best filler for small cracks/surface blemishes I've found is Gyproc joint finish, intended for finishing* joints in tapered edge wallboards.

  • Not the joint filler, that's a different beast. You can get a combined filler/finish, I haven't used that, I have an aversion to multipurpose products - poor at all of them.
Reply to
<me9