Best practices painting bathroom

The bathroom is in need of re-painting and has areas where the paint has started to flake off due to dampness. I was thinking of using medium sandpaper to flatten the flaking areas followed by fine sandpaper. Is there a way to reduce the mark that will occur, cause by the layer of paint that has flaked off?

Also, what is the best way to prepare the surface of the majority of the good paint ready for the new coat, is it simply to clean it with a damp cloth, or should fine sandpaper be used?

Because the bathroom is damp, is there a special type of paint or finish I could use to slow down the damage cause by dampness?

Many regards

Allan Cammish

Reply to
Allan Cammish

Use an acrylic based paint, rather than vinyl emulsion. Something like Dulux Trade Quick Drying Eggshell, with or without fungicide.

?B2EB52969or
?O2DB21969Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry, links didn't work. Try

?V24C35969Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Acrylics are not much different when it comes to damp. They are usually just tougher, but both are emulsions and water sensitive to a degree. An oil based paint would be better. Ordinary undercoat gives a nice matt finish and will stand bathroom conditions better than anything water based.

Reply to
stuart noble

Why not try to resolve the dampness?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Stop people using the bathroom?

*confused* Or do you mean plenty of ventilation?
Reply to
mogga

Well, our bathroom gets full of steam when we shower or bathe, I also do some hand washing in there, but it's not damp. The door is usually open when it's not occupied, there isn't an opening window (just one large, fixed, double glazed unit) and there's a fan which is so inadequate that it's never used. The bathroom isn't damp, never has been even when there were seven of us using it.

If a bathroom - or any room - is damp there's a reason for it and for the sake of the fabric of the building it's worth exploring the reason and doing something bout it, rather than accommodate.

Come to think of it, I know very few damp bathrooms ... I wouldn't want to use one. The thought of towels which were even ever-so-slightly clammy is awful. Damp fabric soon smells musty ...

I don't know what the answer to your problem is but I'd want to find out if it were mine, that's why I asked.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I had a bathrooom in a rented flat that was painted with bog standard cheap emulsion, it wasn't 'damp' causing mould etc., it had no window, the forced ventilation was poor (long way to the outside) and the paint started to peel after while.

In our current bathrrom, i have use ordinary, but brand name emulsion. It has has an extractor (operates on humidistat) It is used for showers etc. every day, there si no significant condensation, and no paint peeling.

I suspect the answer is improved ventilation.

Reply to
chris French

Can you tell us more about humidistat, Chris? I've never heard of it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Like a thermostat, but operates in response to humidity- mine turns on when the humidity gets above the set level,( but they could work the other way round).

Mine is set so that when the humidity rises a bit above normal it turns the fan on - normally this means a few minutes after turning the shower on. It seems to work pretty well, we don't need to remember to turn it on or open windows after a shower. It's not perfect, the stat is just a dumb one so if it's a rather humid - or in heavy persistent rain then at night (when the temp drops) it can sometimes turn on, but it's only an occasional happening - and it can always be turned off.. You can get more intelligent stats, that take into account temp. but they are a lot more expensive.

Reply to
chris French

That sounds very useful - spouse is always putting on the kettle and forgetting it, I've developed a nice warning calle, a sort of "WEEEEEP WEEEEEEEEP SAUNA ALARM!!!!"

Where can I get one in Leeds, please?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

a modern electric kettle that turns itself off is the obvious answer :-)

Mine is made by Manrose, I got mine mail order from somewhere - TLC probably.

Electrical wholesalers are the most likely place.

Reply to
chris French

He won't get one of those until his grandma's copper one dies. It's looking very healthy ...

Thanks, Chris, I'll follow it up.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher