Best plastic to steel glue please?

48 hours should be plenty if you mixed it well, especially if you warmed it too. There is something very satisfying about recovering something which would otherwise be scrap by use of a bit of imagination.
Reply to
newshound

Polythene is a nonstick material. The usual way to bond it to other polythene is to rotate the 2 items agaisnt each other until friction melts the surface.

If the FT fails, I'd have gone more for an eyelet and relied on its broad shoulders to keep it in place. No glue needed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Update : Before using the strimmer this morning, I noticed that the flesh tunnel had moved before completely curing. You'll see in the following pic, that there's now 1 mm of FT protruding on both sides of the spool - I must have been a bit clumsy.

Good news, after about 45 mins of use, the FT hasn't moved and it feels rock solid. You'll notice the cut running from the hole, caused by the strimmer line. Hopefully the new arrangement will stop any repeat damage :-

Norbert Thistlethwaite

Latest : Neighbour used strimmer for about 30 mins today. The fix is still strong and should last some time.

I'm surprised it's done so well as there's a heck of a lot of force and vibration in the eyelet vicinity. I wonder if it's TNP's hair dryer heat suggestion, that's done the trick? If so, I'm a bit surprised Araldite didn't mention it. I've had epoxy joins fail in the past - in a far less hostile environment.

Reply to
Norbert Thistlethwaite