Best place to buy cheap paving slabs

We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them? We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be as good as anywhere?

Reply to
usenet

I reckon you will be hard pushed to beat that price for new slabs especially if you bear in mind time and travelling to get them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wickes do a very cheap slab at about 80p a slab they were plain grey and about 3/4inch thick. I bought them a year ago so they may have gone up a bit now... Also, I found Wickes delivery to be much cheaper than BnQ. Wickes will deliver to me for 20quid, but BnQ want 30 (and they are about the same distance away)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Mills

Try the local council, they used to sell them off cheap at one time.

Reply to
Jason Scott

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

DIY - make a form and press

Reply to
zaax

Presumably given the price in dollars, as far as the USA?

Buolders mercahnts do em probly cheaper.

And may delivere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

================== Most builders' merchants (Midlands) will sell 600 x 600 (2' x 2' approx) for about £2.20 and they won't charge twenty or thirty pounds for delivery. The standard grey paving slabs will also be much thicker than the smaller ones from Wickes etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

not me:

Scott Mills

Drive around any area with upmarket houses a few years old and you are almost guaranteed to see builders ripping up slabs to put down a block paved drive or similar.

Look out for builders skips and eventually you will find unwanted slabs

Reply to
Paper2002AD

The council ones off the pavments are high quality, and very very very heavy. I can lay about 6-10 a day of these, the cheepo wickes ones I can do vastly more of them, call me a whimp ........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Our Local Authority refuse site has a section for paving slabs for reuse - I think that you can remove them if they are there. I have no idea whether they charge for them, though, it's highly likely that they do, but they should be cheaper than buying new.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Yes, I just noticed that $ sign, meant to be a £ of course (for those who are using the same character set as I am).

Well B&Q will delvier I think.

Reply to
usenet

More expensive than new ones from B&Q.

Reply to
usenet

A couple of people have suggested local authority, I'll try asking them, thanks. Thanks for all the responses in this thread.

Reply to
usenet

Just to clarify my post - this is an area in the tip where people can leave their old paving slabs for others to take and use, not the re-use of ex-council hi-spec municipal slabs.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Yes, OK, my reply was sort of 'generic' to a number of posts. :-)

Reply to
usenet

I constantly hear that Builder's merchants are cheaper than sheds, in this NG, but have yet to see any evidence!

The builder's merchants I have locally are Fitzgerald Burke, Travis Perkins, Buildbase and Jewson.

Some examples over last year:

Needed 2 pallets bricks. Lowest Merchants price was 40p plus vat. Same exact brick in B&Q was 28p incl.(and that was without buying a whole pallet)

Block paving: Again B&Q were cheapest closely followed by Wickes.

Okay, they do have a scaled discount system but even when I have tried to talk turkey it still isn't cheaper. Maybe I need to come in scratching my balls and leaning over the counter like an ape to appear more like 'de trade'.

I'm in London, btw.

Reply to
StealthUK

In article , StealthUK writes

I thought that for some time, but a little local hire firm has expanded its BM side, and is now cheaper than Wickes. I went in the other day and his high density concrete blocks were cheaper than Wickes cinder blocks.

Of course you have to remember to add VAT and delivery - the latter is £3 no matter what you order.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

In message , StealthUK writes

I think it does depend on what you are buying, and which sheds - B&Q Warehouse is cheaper in some things than the ordinary B&Q for instance. I use both for buying my stuff. Certainly they are competitive on many things.

One area which the BM wins for me is in delivery - it's 'free', but more importantly, they deliver every day. So I can ring up and ask for a bag of ballast say and have it delivered pretty much when I want. another area is choice, OK B&Q have a good price on the bricks they sell or flags, but a limited range, my BM has a much bigger range (and they will sell a single brick)

Reply to
chris French

The cheapest place for the use that you have is secondhand. We copped for about 200 when our neighbour ripped up a paved area in order to install "decking".

Other than that, it's difficult to predict. I needed a huge number to pave the area at the back of the house. I searched the web and found a few places offering slabs at knock-down prices compared to Wickes/B&Q. But I ended up buying them at a local garden centre because when I saw a few "remaindered" cheaper than anything else I had seen elsehwere I counted them up to find that I was enough to do 1/3 of the area. I told them I would take all the cheap slabs and order the balance at full price because the total would be cheaper than the cheapest quote I got. I could then have been knocked over with a feather when they decided to sell me the entire load at the price they wer echarging for the "remainders". Jolly nice of them and I got an area 9 x 5 metres paved for £250.

Reply to
Steve Firth