Best oven cleaner

Hi,

Just tried splashing out a princely sum on Mr. Muscle oven cleaner and it's junk, I'm sorry to say; had no effect whatsoever. IIRC it never used to be such rubbish a few years back. Anyway, clearly formulations change and that which was good in the past is not necessarily good today. So.... any up-to-date recommendations?

cheers,

cd

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Wot, no longer caustic soda? You can always buy the real thing, but I wouldn't fancy spraying it. Wish I knew what the new franchised oven cleaning firms use. Judging by their prices it must work pretty fast.

Reply to
stuart noble

Lakeland's Oven Mate. Ferocious stuff. When they put a pair of gloves in the packet, they damn well mean it.

Reply to
Adrian

Oven Pride. £5 or £3.50 when Aldi have it.

Used carefully you will get two ovens done with one kit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Available from a local janitorial supplier

Reply to
gremlin_95

The trick is not to let it get baked on if you can. Cillit bang grime & lime + elbow grease works for me, but I suspect I clean my oven more often than most!.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Oven Pride. 5 or 3.50 when Aldi have it.

Used carefully you will get two ovens done with one kit.

Yes it is very good. If the racks need doing keep them in the plastic bag overnight. They come out like new.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Caustic soda is The One. It is vicious.

cobblers. Sorry but it is

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"Baked on"? I wish. Not so much baked on as vulcanized and vitrified in this case. The only product recommended thus far that's within reach of my out-of-the-way island location is the Jangro stuff, of which I know nowt. Still, early days yet!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The Lakeland product I mentioned is available off a variety of Amazon & fleaBay vendors, as well as direct. We've used it on a couple of thoroughly vile and baked oven interiors, and it's just worked.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:l84jgq$477$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

As an aside, I find that putting the shelves and runners in the dishwasher really loosens the stuff and then a quick rub with a green scourer finishes it off. The light/lamp glass cover also cleans this way - and makes the oven look brighter.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's very good and economical is all that I can say, used in many commercial kitchens. We now get a lot of our cleaning stuff from the local janitorial supplier; the chemicals are more economical, effective and work out cheaper. I also get 15% discount as a 'trade' customer.

Reply to
gremlin_95

My buddy Desmond makes an incredible product called Bosh. No good unless you are in the Kent area though.

The Medway Handyman

I'm severely limited thanks to the recent 'international regulations' introduced earlier this year which vastly reduce the range of substances that can be transported by post. We rely on a lot of stuff coming in via air here and it's hit us pretty hard.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If it's that "good" don't you need a respirator as well!

tim

Reply to
tim......

You are really Barry Scott and I claim my five pounds

Reply to
The Other Mike

So potent that it is an offence to transport it across the county boundary?

:-)

Reply to
newshound

is boat not cheaper? Caustic is one of those things that always needs to be stocked, primarily for ovens & drains.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's an offence to transport 25kgs of washing soda anywhere without a sealed driving compartment

Reply to
stuart noble

It's not an offence AFAIK but carriers don't like liquids - even distilled water. Not because they might be dangerous, but because a spill would contaminate all the other parcels on the floor of the van.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman