Best mattress for snoring - Tempur?

Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back. Seems what's needed is:

1) Some mattress that is soft so doesn't make pressure points sore 2) Mattress that inhibits you from turning too easily. The sprung mattresses almost encourage you to end up on your back.

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur? Seems to hold you softly in one position.

If so, and tips for a good price online or wherever?

Interested in all possible comments and experiences about memory foam mattresses like Tempur.

best,

andy

Reply to
Eusebius

How about the classic solution of sewing a pocket into the back of your jimjams top, and putting a tennis ball in it? You roll on to your back while asleep; it's uncomfortable so you roll back on your side.

Better yet - have you tried losing some weight? I dropped 2 stone last year and SWMBO tells me the snoring (and the rather alarming associated sleep apnoea) has stopped completely!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have a cheaper-unbranded-equivalent-to-Tempur memory-foam mattress. I can't say if it has stopped snoring, but I certainly don't roll about like I used to. Not everyone likes them though, and it's a lot of money to discover you don't. One tip - you need a lot less pillow - I have a memory-foam shaped pillow that keeps the neck extended - this also helps stop rolling - recommended by a physio.

R.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

How exactly?...

Reply to
tony sayer

The Tempur mattresses can be quite hot to sleep on.

I've lost 2 stone this year!

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:05:24 +0000, tony sayer wrote (in article ):

I have lost 10 lb so far this year. My method is to eat less :-)

Reply to
Mike Lane

I spent a fortune on a genuine Tempur mattress and was very disappointed with it. Previously, I had a top brand pocketed spring mattress that was much more comfortable and supportive, and that didn't make me sweat like the Tempur did.

So I sold the Tempur on eBay at a huge loss and bought a pocketed spring mattress, this time from IKEA. It cost a fraction of the price of the Tempur and is just as comfortable as the branded pocketed spring mattress that costs at least double. After three years, the mattress is still like new and I would certainly buy another, but don't need to yet.

I use an IKEA mattress topper which makes the mattress even more comfortable. If you really must have memory foam, you can get an off-brand 75mm or 100mm memory foam mattress topper at a fraction of the price of a full Tempur mattress.

You should get your snoring checked out. Overweight is a risk factor for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) which is where your breathing pauses while asleep.

Ask your partner or a family member to monitor you wile you sleep and note any cessation of breathing. These cessations can last for anything up to 20 seconds, after which you partially wake and start breathing again. The result is disturbed sleep.

People with OSA have a heightened risk of heart attack and stroke, and the reduced daytime vitality that results from disturbed sleep will also encourage further weight gain. It's a vicious circle.

Some useful advice and information here:

Bruce

Have a look here:

There are many, many similar stories about off-gassing and the effects it has on people.

Reply to
Rod

Shock horror! Company publishes FUD about rival product.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are they 'normal' UK sizes? I had an idea that IKEA bed stuff is some unusual size/aspect ratio.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Reply to
Rod

(Oops - dropped mouse posts message before it has been written!)

Indeed - but that was just the first site I found with such references. To my certain knowledge it is something that some people have suffered from. I am in no way supporting that company - existence of which was unknown to me until maybe an hour ago.

Reply to
Rod

The Tempur is available in a wide range of sizes and can even be made to measure. The IKEA mattresses are all in European standard sizes, so there is nothing unusual about those.

The traditional British mattress sizes are gradually dying out and the European standard sizes are now widely available in bed stores. Before long, it will be the old British sizes that are considered unusual.

Certainly, among the younger members of my extended family, I don't know of any beds they own that are not in the European standard size range. Most seem to have been bought from IKEA, but others bought from the Dreams chain and department stores are also in European standard sizes.

I know this because my partner likes to buy bedding as gifts for members of the family. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

It has always struck me that Tempur mattresses are the perfect example of a solution looking for a problem.

Reply to
Bruce

Hmm - My mattress is 75" x 54" so it's probably a real British size...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IIRC that was one of their claims to fame - 10% of europeans are now conceived on an IKEA mattress...

(which must be getting a bit soggy by now!)

Reply to
John Rumm

The usual method is eat less and exercise more.

Food poisoning worked for me :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

yebbut, it's guaranteed for 25 years!

Reply to
PeterC

Septoplasty. Twice. First one worked for 6 months and the second has worked so far. (8 months)

Pillows don't work. Mattress will have no affect. Those funny things you stick in your nose or mouth don't work.

The doc can send you to see the nose man and he'll have a look and see if there's anything he can do.

We got a good one off ebay - but not for the snorer.

Reply to
mogga

Agreed - I tried one and ended up swapping it to the spare room! I went back to my old - far too old - Dunlopillo one.

As for expensive beds - See Penn & Teller's 'Bullshit' program on Sleep Inc, it is very instructive as to what bed to choose :-).

is episode 5 of season 6
for snoring - try the nose openers you see advertised on TV.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s