best magnaclean type device?

Hello,

Is there any consensus on which magnaclean-type of device is best? I had to drain the CH to remove a radiator and the water had black in it. I will flush all the radiators and add inhibitor and it may be that that will cure the problem; it may have just been caused by the previous owner's neglect of the system, but whilst the system is empty, I may as well add one of these filters.

Do people still fit Y-strainers or aren't they as popular due to reducing flow when they clog?

Can the magnetic filters be fitted in any direction or are they vertical only?

Do they filter all particles or just magnetic ones?

There is a Fernox one that claims to be cyclonic but is that all marketing hype based on the success of cyclone vacuum cleaners?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Personally, I'd not waste my money. Make sure it is properly flushed and use inhibitor in future. You'll then not get black water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 Though I'd not bother with a "power flush", drain and refill a couple of times unless the middle bottom of radiators stay cold/cool compared to the rest of the radiator (with the system on).

Less black, the system is already black no amount of flushing will clear it completely. But with inhibitor in it's not a problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine is a Magnaclean. It certainly took out a lot of stuff when it was first installed. I think they are worth having as it is easier to top up the inhibitor this way.

You want the cylinder vertical otherwise it gets messy when you check it, but you can fit them into any orientation of pipe run

Just the magnetic ones really

Your main circuit debris is likely to be magnetite (which is magnetic).

Reply to
newshound

Mainly magnetic - they use a strong magnet in the filter tube.

It means that the water is slowed down and then directed as a spiral flow around the container which means that is passes over the strong magnet for longer. The magnet sits in the centre of the container and is the whole length of the container.

When I fitted my filter it caught a lot after the system had just been filled and in the next 4 weeks afterwards*. I have checked the contents a couple of times since and it has collected very fine magnetic particles but nowhere near the amount caught initially.

*20 year old system drained and refilled 4 times before fitting the filter. The repeated refilling was to allow alteration some of the pipe runs, add a new radiator and to replace some sticking thermostatic valves over a period of a month. The system was run with full central heating on between drains and with 2 lots of system cleaner added during the process.
Reply to
alan_m