Best glue wood to plasterboard?

Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't be taking all that much stress.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Erm! PVA as basically is wood glue.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I am concerned about being able to clamp it up tight enough to get a good bond...hoping for something a bit more gap filling..?

Still an aliphatic wood glue might be good, also a low foam polyurethane type..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is plugging and screwing not an option? If not a 'No More Nails' type of adhesive will work if the plasterboard isn't painted etc. Bear in mind it will make a mess of the board if you ever want/need to remove it!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Get some of those snail fixings; drill through the wood and the p/bd (you need to have it supported or held in situ) remove wood and fit fixing gently.

The screws that come with the fixings might be too short you can use longer ones but they must be of the same gauge. Put an adhesive pava or mastic on the timber and offer into position.

Insert screws and tighten. Do not overtighten or the snail fixings will pull out.

There are any number of varieties of plasterboard fixings all more or less the same general idea. These are the simplest.

Use a mastic adhesive if the timber is rough sawn, if it is a planed edge, you can get away with pva. For the price of a mastic gun and a tube of gripfill I'd use that. YMMV.

Watch out that you don't damage the backs of your handypops.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Possibly in one or two places...but I have NEVER found that to make a secure joint sadly

Yes. I will try no more nails...I think

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't get a drill there for most of the length sadly.

Its all behind a radiator, and I don't have time to drain down CH, remove rad, do the job and put back...and its too frigging cold as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't forget the weakest bit will probably be the paper cover on the plasterboard. You don't need a glue any stronger than this.

If you want to be able to remove it easily then a double sided sticky foam tape would be easy.

Reply to
dennis

Plasterboard has been skimmed, but not painted.

I won't need any actual pull strength - just in shear - and the paper is more than strong enough in that mode.

Ive had mixed results with 'no more nails' frankly.

CA (superglue) works if the gap is thin enough..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For gluing surfaces that absorb water, I've found water based no-nails to be far better than the organic solvent based variety. This is one of my favourites:

Grunff

B&Q :-)

Have you tried the cheaper brands? They seem OK to me (though I tend to use them by the bucketfull as filler as well as adhesive).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes, I bought some of screwfix own brand water based before, and it was OK. It's been discontinued and replaced with:

tend to use water based for most things, switching to solvent based only in situations where there's any chance of future moisture. The water based ones skin much more slowly, and grab better.

Reply to
Grunff

You don't need to - just close the valves, slacken the valve-to-rad couplings, tip the rad out and lie it down then retighten the couplings.

Reply to
Rob Morley

TRV mate. No chance to actually close it off completelly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hate that they are forever doing that with their glue/sealant/mastic cartridges. Frequently I've bought a particular type which I've got on well with; go back to re-order and bang! it's gone.

David

Reply to
Lobster

talking about

How long have you been posting on here you stupid tosser?

Why didn't you say that you were trying to get it to stick to a wall down behind a radiator.

I don't know. And more important, neither do you.

Worra clot!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I REALLY do not think there is any need to resort to a posting like that! That is not helpful to anybody, especially the OP you "stupid tosser".

Cheers

JOhn

Reply to
John

talking about

Oh dear. Someone kicked your c*ck through your cranium today? Or are you always this amiable?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh..I don't mind. I've been on Usenet since before the ruddy Internet. Let him get it off his chest. Probably saved him beating his wife or summat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Car body filler ;)

cheers, Pete.