Best finish for Oak Bannister - stripped back.

Hi, I've just finished the mamouth task of stripping years of paint from my victorian 3 storey bannister. We like the oak so want to finish it and leave the colour as near as it is. What is the best? Wax? Varnish? Someone says Liberon Finishing oil? Any thoughts? thanks, Richard

Reply to
RichardL

My fave finishes for oak are the Fiddes Hard Wax Oil (or Osmo PolyX) for the softer honeyed look and a bit of waxy tactility or if you want to keep it more on the untouched light tan side rather than golden (temporarily, it's a losing game) then Bona Naturale 2-pack, which is an impressively subtle low sheen water-based acrylic.

Reply to
Bolted

Thanks - what do you mean by "temporarily it's a losing game"? Richard

Reply to
RichardL

oak darkens in light.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"RichardL" wroteL

Worth a look?

Richard Head

spindles though.

I always bleach stripped oak with a 2 part woodworking bleach. It's a bit of extra work but improves the appearance no end IMO.

Reply to
stuart noble

Either Osmo Woodwax or Osmo Polyx oil. The wax is closer to the original colour but the oil is much more durable (normally used for floors).

dan.

Reply to
dent

That, eventually, it will darken ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've found Treatex oil very good on oak. You can barely tell it's there but it does enhance the finish very subtly without any obvious sheen. Can't answer for its long term endurance as I've only had it on for 6 months.

I like it because it brushes on easily and there's little smell and re-finishing is a case of put another coat on.

Reply to
Tim Watts

For a bannister, I'd use varnish. This is a film-forming finish, so it can be cleaned afterwards. It's also harder than an oil film. Wax is a pig to keep clean on a bannister.

For varnish, I use a gel polyurethane like Patina. This goes on with a rag and because it then builds to a much thinner coat than a brushed varnish, it avoids the problem of looking like a plasticky varnish. For handrails in pubs & shops, I'd use a really-hard acid-cure varnish like Bar Top or Plastic Coating.

Reply to
Andy Dingley