Best Filler for Skirting Mitre

I have an external skirting corner mitre that's moved to create a 2mm gap. Is there a "best of breed" filler to neaten this eyesore.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

If it's to be painted, you can't beat car body filler - it's a two part material which sets quickly in any thickness, and is easy to work - you can simply file it when set, then sand smooth. Apply it slightly proud as it shrinks slightly while drying. Halfords or any car accessory shop. Isopon is a common brand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I always use the 'decorators filler' mastic which comes in cartridges. Its a bit like silicon but can be overpainted and - importantly - remains flexible for years so any further small movements do not result in cracks showing. As well as skirting joints and the gap between the skirting and wall you sometimes get, I have also used it successfully on door architraves, door stops and also coving corner joints.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

In many Motor Factors, you can buy a great *big* tin for L.10-15, which is much, much better value than the small sizes.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Dave

Have you found this to crack away from the skirting due to lack of filler flexibility?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

No filler that is hard enough to sand will put up with much movement but, once the skirting has adjusted to ambient conditions, it should be fine. Internally, movement in wood is usually a one-way, one-off thing. I disagree with what Dave says about shrinkage in 2 part filler. The major benefit with styrene based fillers is that the "solvent" doesn't evaporate, but cures along with the resin. What can happen externally is that the surrounding woodwork shrinks away from the filler because it's being allowed to dry out, often for the first time.

Reply to
stuart noble

Absolutely if you think you'll use it within a reasonable time. But it does 'go off' with storage, same as most things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , stuart noble evaporate, but cures along with the resin. What can happen externally is

Yes - although what I really meant was don't try to get a perfect finish as you might do with putty etc - make it proud then file to shape.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It will keep for a year or three, BUT you must make sure when you are using it that you don't contaminate it with catalyst, either by scooping it out with a contaminated tool, or allowing dust from sanding hardened filler to get into the tin - this will cause the lot to go solid comaratively quickly! You can get 5Kg boxes which contain separate bags of filler to overcome this issueto a degree.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

If you want a fairly flexible non structural filler then decorators caulk is superb.

I have ended up using it as a general purpose filler anywhere that wood abuts more wood, or something rigid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

why not use decorators caulk ... it is very flexible, and will therefore cope in your boards are still shrinking. It takes paint perfectly.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes