Best (easiest) solution to fixing wiring bodge

Hi there,
In the process of running network cabling through the house, I lifted a floor board upstairs to discover an 'interesting' bit of wiring on the lighting circuit. Basically on one light fitting, all the T+E lighting cables (including switch cable) are terminated in a terminal strip (choc block), with approx 1 metre length of two core flex going through the next joist and to the light fitting.
Would it be acceptable to replace the terminal strip with a junction box attached to the joist, and replace the flex with a length of T+E, or do I need to do more (obviously I'd prefer to avoid replacing all the existing T+E cable with cable of the correct length to reach the light fitting).
Thanks in advance,
Chris.

You can (and should) replace the chocolate block with a junction box, which will be much safer.
Technically, being a concealed terminal block, you should retain some sort of maintenance access by not covering your floorboards with laminate or other hard to lift floor coverings. Alternatively, you can extend the cables using crimps and run to the light fitting, where loop in terminals would be accessible. Crimped connections may be concealed totally.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Thanks Christian (and everyone else who has answered). The concealed nature of the junction box was concerning me, but the only covering will be the floorboards and carpet, so I should be ok.
Many thanks again everyone,
Chris.

Yes.
--
Chris French, Leeds

message

A properly installed, correctly sized junction box is perfectly acceptable.