Best DIY gadget alert

When inverted the negative angle of attack will produce a force that is now _upwards_ (the wing is inverted) If the upwards force is vectorially equal and opposite to the aircraft weight, which always acts downwards, the plane will fly straight and level inverted.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

There is a good reason, it has to because if it didn't you would either be creating or destroying matter! Think of it as a continual process, If it didn't remain in alignment it would have to find someplace else to go...., what ever passes the leading edge _has_ (by inspection) to pass to the trailing edge.

and secondly, the actual path length difference does not get close

I remember a calculation once that showed that the Bernoulli effect on the upper surface of a Jumbo Jet wing (this was the example used) produced a low pressure that was equivalent to what a person could achieve by sucking on a straw, ie next to bugger all. But calculate how many straws could be stood on a Jumbo wing and you've got the few hundred tons of lift required.

But the relative contributions remain similar, there's no great change.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Don't follow that. Perhaps we are talking at crossed purposes. Have look at the model here:

the Direction button, then give the wing say 10 degrees of positive attack. Now slide the rake release point. You should see that the air that splits at the leading edge does not arrive coincidently at the trailing edge - the air flowing over the top section gets there first even though the wing pictured has equal path length.

Indeed it does, but it does not have to do so at the same time as the air which started out adjacent to it at the leading edge of the wing, but which passed under it rather than over.

variable attack angle, but variable wing shape, and hence significantly variable lift. Then compare with:

speed, hi altitude flight will also reduce the Bernoulli contribution the lift noticeably due to reduced air density.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, and also by air displacement from inside the curtained area.

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite a few years ago when I worked for Nilfisk, we did a Buying Agency exhibition. My oppo from t'north who had many years of experience & was a glider pilot organised an exhaust air blower for one of the vacs.

Given the high airflow of the Nilfisk vac, this created quite a volume if air. He bought a beach ball, inflated it & placed it in the airstream so the airflow was going over the top of the ball.

The airflow caused the ball to spin & remain in the air a good 4' above & 4' away from the vac.

It looked incredible! Spectators were amazed. The IT stand opposite actually complained that they had spent £20K on interactice displays & we got more attention with a 99p beach ball.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reminds me of years ago when a mate of mine built a RC model "boat" out of a 2L coke bottle. It did not so much cruise, as leap in an out of the water almost uncontrollably (seriously over powered for its size and it had no proportional throttle control). He would simply turn it on and throw it (literally) into the water where it would bob about almost submerged until power was applied. It seemed to upset a number of the people at the lake who were accustomed to having a small crowd of boys and dads watching as they piloted their multihull racing boats (in some cases costing well over £1000!) at great speed, when they were upstaged by a coke bottle, a RS540 motor and some old camera batteries!

Reply to
John Rumm

Bugger, there's nothing to be seen in the 'java simulator' window. I wonder if it's a site problem or something on my computer?

Have a look here when you have a moment:

Julian

If you go here:

will let you install the latest runtime environment for your browser.

(If you are using firefox then check you don't have Java unticked in the content tab on options...)

Reply to
John Rumm