Best decent bench vice?

I trawled all over town looking for one. Nowhere to be found.

Where to get one? what's good? how much? Online?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Record. There is no other make. I recommend the "Trading Post" in Wells, which always seems to have a few in the 30 - 50 quid range.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

========================================= It depends on what you want it for. There's quite a good range at Machinemart - better still if you can get to a local branch to inspect and save carriage:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I have a (Irwin) Record 74 vice which has a swivel base, which I have found quite usefull..

The vice certainly predates the Internet and would appear to be no longer available, although Irwin do sell vices with swivel bases.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :

Record.

That will depend on the type and size.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Agreed, but weren't they bought and closed down by Irwin some years ago now? I've bought a few nice Record tools over the years including a vice, but alas no more.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For wood or metal, and what capacity? Regardless, Record is the way to go.

Local papers, local auctions, car boot sales are all a good source. Ebay? Record built these things in their millions. A local tech college refurbished their wood & metal working rooms a few years back, in the name of elfen safety. I was fortunate enough to buy 10 each of 6" capacity Record wood & metalworking vices. Like new, and at the princely sum of £2ea. Some quick release. None swivel mounted, but I would have no use for this. Unfortunately the superb hardwood woodworking benches were smashed to bits and put in a skip. Replaced with absolute crap which bore the correct labels. I understand that the same facility has this year replaced all again. 'kin waste of money. I suppose just another way for this gov and its european masters to grind this country into the dust. Perhaps an underspend on budget with a use-it-or lose-it strategy. Nevertheless, a pointless and mindless waste of time and money. My apologies for ranting

Reply to
Ray

You won't believe this, but Aldi does things like this, I saw one a few months ago. Trouble is, you have to check weekly to see if they're doing it.

s.

Reply to
someone

Thanks for all the replys.

These things go for serious money new. I was surprised.

The sort that looked rally GOOD were in in the £100+ mark..

I think the car boot sale is the obvious answer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

someone formulated the question :

They were very lightweight vices - clamp on or stick on with suckers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No,he means the proper bench vices were sold at Aldi/Lidl.

Reply to
George

No, they have also done 'serious' iron vices a few times over the last year - about =A38.99 IIRC. I don't think the quality of the casting/ finish/screw thread compared to a Record et.al. of old though.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Few and far between in car booty's ebays your best bet. Plenty of em on there ranging fro £12 to £100. Personally a Vice is a vice and doesn't really matter who made it as it has no real mechanical parts except the wormgear bolt.

Reply to
George

Czech ones from Axminster. Some nice swivel ones, if you need it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Rather far away to drive...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

what's wrong about other makes? I dont know diddly 'bout vices.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

As everyone else has said, get Record.

Lots on ebay:

remember being shown round the Record Ridgeway factory in Sheffield in the early 1980's, and seeing their new production facility for casting the vice bodies.

Reply to
dom

Woodworkers vice? Mechanics vice? Miami voce?

Screwfix have many vices .....

The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "George" saying something like:

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Er! no,so long as it does what its supposed to do thats all that matters.

Its vice not a piece of machinery,it sole purpose is to clamp whatever you put in it.

Reply to
George