Best buys at Lidl

Because you are a fussy fastidious person (meant in the nicest possible way) Im like that with food, Im lucky enough to be able to grow everything my family and guests consume. The thought of buying and eating supermarket fresh(sic) produce in particular fills me with horror, I find it hard to believe you would even consider travailing to both the German cut price supermarkets to sample the produce. Perhaps you are spending too much money on expensive tools :-)

-
Reply to
Mark

Not like Matalan. Matalan focuses a lot on brands, Primark doesn't. For casual wear, trousers especially, they're great.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

It is still around I think.

I'm pretty sure I saw some in Tesco a few weeks ago. In Warsaw though :-)

Some products seem to be available on the web.

Reply to
Andy Hall

How do you know what I do? What a stupid remark....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Absolutely. You can add Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose and Marks and Spencer to the list.

Price is a relative thing to the market and customer awareness.

Clearly people typically don't go to Germany just to buy a loaf of bread.

having said that, I have occasionally gone to France for a load of groceries and other products.

Reply to
Andy Hall

PMSL.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, you don't. You go on if the price is high.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Place of origin of a retail store is not that important. For the most part, they have to adapt to local market conditions.

One of the few that I can think of that has not, to any great extent, is IKEA. Apart from the close to hell experience of going to one, they have managed to establish an image, a brand and a price point. As a result, Ingvar Kamprad is one of the richest people in Europe and deservedly so.

These other outfits that you have mentioned have attempted it on what are basically commodity products using their home country methodology. Demonstrably it doesn't work. They are not successful in market share or penetration terms.

Reply to
Andy Hall

hardly likely to be unbiased is it?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Fastidious I would accept, perfectionist to a point, also pragmatic. I detest poor service, because there is no excuse for it.

I don't have the time, unfortunately, so select suppliers carefully.

Agreed and I avoid wherever possible.

In both cases it was while passing. I had to see what these places were really like. Sorry, but I found them, their (lack of) service, poor attitude and products underwhelming. I doubt if I would go back even if they were 50% cheaper than alternatives.

That's always true. But I do enjoy doing so.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Presumably you shop for groceries in Harrods? You must be a very rich man Andy.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

If you read the article, you will see that it came from a German food magazine, Der Feinschmecker. The American site merely published the article.

It's somewhat implausible that the Chemical Investigation Institute in Germany and a biochemical research and analysis centre in Italy would be in the pay of the Americans, isn't it?

Hopefully all four stores will be prosecuted, as they should be.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why would you imagine that? I have occasionally purchased unusual things from there or from Fortnums, but wouldn't buy regular groceries in them.

Not really. I just think that food is important, and there is far too much preprocessed rubbish around.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The report is quoted from the German "Fine Taste" magazine. The article was published originally in Germany, and involved international cooperation in testing the quality of the oil. The supermarkets fell foul of a determined effort by the Italian government to stamp out this sort of fraudulent trading. Until recently there was no cast iron way to prove that oil had been adulterated or processed to pass off "lampante" (industrial grade oil recovered by solvent extraction from waste residue) as extra virgin. Some hard work on a battery of tests by the Italians has led to a scheme for classification and regionalisation of oils based upon chemical signatures involving the lipid ration, fruit acids and peroxide levels. This proved unequivocally that the supermarkets were passing off lubricants as foodstuffs.

Your comment about the American association are IMO just bloody stupid. The association exists to promote best practice, irrespective of nationality and olive oil producers from around the world are given free listings on the website.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Did he? How observant of him, that was also my observation. Morrisons have managed to ruin Safeway in a remarkably short time. From being one of the best supermarkets for wine, beer and speciality foods, Safeway has now become part of the Morrisons empire catering for plebs in trainers whose idea of cooking is to garnish a couple of dead dogs with baked beans.

You are aware that Morrisons own brand food has been condemned as over-salted and poor quality, aren't you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem to be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Clue Drivel (note absence of connection)

Reply to
Steve Firth

I hope not, the quality of groceries at Harrods is not consistent with the prices charged.

Decent food costs little more than the slop sold by supermarkets to the stupid. For anyone close to Wakefield I strongly recommend Blacker Hall Farm Shop, some of the best meat I've seen in the UK as well as proper bread and other tasty stuff. Best sandwiches for miles around.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Matt did.

You can't properly because of the shit kicked up.

Morrisons beat most on price/quality/value in wine. All the poor performing Safeway supermarkets that have changed to Morrisons have improved takings.

Are you a rural Chav?

By who? Was it in the Shit Kickers guide to Chavness?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matlan is not tat at all. They sell some designer labels at a fraction of the cost. They don't sell shit kicking wellies that is for sure.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel