Best boiler

I need an 18KW (or so) condensing boiler for a vented system - just a conventional system with a flue going out the wall. Curiously, it is not used for heating the hot water.

The plumber wants to fit a Potterton or Gloworm. I have always been very impressed with Vaillant, but the plumber told me that they only do combination or non-vented boilers. This seems to be untrue:

there any reason why he would be reluctant to use Vaillant?

Also, if I were to go along with his wish to use Potterton or Gloworm, which is a better make? Are they both crap?

Finally, am I right in thinking that 60,000 BTUs is the same as 18 KW?

Reply to
GB

Round here they are generally reckoned amongst the most reliable

Glow-worm is now part of Vaillant and their latest condensing boilers use Vaillant designs. Less fun though: one some Vaillants you can find out all sorts of fascinating trivia from the run data.

For all practical purposes, yes.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Joining in, my daughter has been told that Vaillant are 'too expensive' and she has been offered a Potterton or a (Basch?) Greenstar - anyone any views? I have a 2 year old Vaillant and am delightedwith it and the service from Vaillant to cure a ringing noise which occurred on startup on cold mornings.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Tell you in a few weeks...the man is downstairs fitting a Greenstar as I type!

Reply to
Bob Eager

> Is there any reason why he would be reluctant to use Vaillant?

Glow-worm are part of the Vaillant group! Another reason is, and I hope it's never the case, that what is suggested/recommended is influenced by manufacturers' promotions . Worcester are giving a free hat,fleece and flask with certain boilers (installers only!!!) alongside collect points for free bosch power tools.

PetreK

Reply to
PeterK

Probably because he has never fitted one, his favourite merchant (read best discount and payment terms and best morning Mothers Union) doesn't stock them and Potterton have a promotion this month with puffy anoraks or trips to Eyebyeza.

Yes. Better to forget about BTUs and not to use any plumber still using them especially if they mix BTUs and kW in the same set of calculations and quotes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. Suggest that she tells the guy to take a hike. The customer decides whether something is too expensive

So a good recommendation.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do read the BoilerChoiceFAQ quite a few of the issues are nearly addressed by it.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

>>> Is there any reason why he would be reluctant to use Vaillant?

This FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

> Is there any reason why he would be reluctant to use Vaillant?

The Glow Worm condensing boilers are made by Vaillant.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

>>> Is there any reason why he would be reluctant to use Vaillant?

Go for the Greenstar.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But based on experience and sound principles rather than maker's claims and adverts like your 'advice'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will you please eff off as you are an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks all for the advice. The plumber told me that the vented Vaillant is not available until mid-November. I settled for the Glow Worm.

Reply to
GB