Best board for wardrobe doors

Hi all. What s the best materal for wardrobe doors? i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc? And also what thickness? The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Sliding or hinged? Painted or some other finish?

Reply to
dennis

Sliding doors. And am undecided about finish. I only know that I will fix a 1" oak border around them.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

depends on your app really. If you want white wipe clean, melamine. If you want a wood finish, either pineboard, blockboard or ply. If you want indestructability, ply. If you want curved doors, wigglewood on a wood frame.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Rather than using just sheet material for the whole door you can also create wooden frames with panels of thin material set in

This would allow the use of say 8mm melamine faced board or say 6mm ply or even veneered MDF

Also reduces the weight of the door and makes the top fixing for the sliding door track in solid wood rather than the edge of the sheet

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I would think 9 mm mdf would be OK. Mine are 6 mm but are a bit floppy.

Reply to
dennis

All good stuff. Thanks.

Reply to
Arthur2

I like the idea of using a melamine laminate and having the laminate side on the inner surface of the door. That will simplify things a lot. Then on the plain side I could use a quality laminate or I was also thinking of the leatherette fabrics..

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51