Best barbecue grill...

Hi All,

I am building a fairly big (about 2m long) brick charcoal barbecue in my garden and have been searching for some good quality cooking grids which will fit into a dishwasher. So far, the only ones I have found have been from Denmark and I can't get them in the UK :(

Has anyone any ideas? I have thought about buying solid mesh and cutting to size (thought it would be cheaper than getting bars and have someone weld them) but any idea what the best metal would be?

thanks in advance

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

best is stainless if you want to wash, but why on earth would you?

I always light first and brush over with a wire brush.

The heat makes em sterile.

Then if its something odd like fish, or buregers we use a separate fish carrier.

The way I did this years ago was to make a brick hearth, the use expanded metal industrial flooring for both the charcoal carrier and ash griddle, and for the primary cooking surfaces. Then if its anything a bit sensitive use special carriers that you can buy in cooking shops for the fish and burgers.

What you MUST have with charcoal is a way to regulate temperature down though. The old colonial trick of pouring your beer on the coals is one way, but consider a hood that comes down, and adjustable air vents.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for your reply...

The washing bit is more my wife than me.... I would be happy with the brush method....

Plan is to have a brick sides/ chimney over to create the up draft and cast the cooking "trough" out of fire proof cement (like Fondu or something). I hadn't thought about putting vents in the "trough" itself - is this necessary? Since the "trough" is rectangular, I have been looking for a lid I can put over with a thermostat and preferably a peep hole to see how things are going. No joy at all on that front : (

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Buy stainless mesh and make your own. Stainless, not chrome plated.

I'd also strongly suggest making somee of it solid as a griddle, rather than a grill. It's great for pancakes, fish, veggie burgers (which otherwise tend to fall apart) and anything fried. Use 1/4" or

3/8" mild steel plate. De-rust each Summer with an angle grinder and wire wheel, then re-season with oil.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Top tip which I found out this summer - best way to clean the crud off the grill is to quickly run over it with a lump of balled-up silver foil before lighting.

David

Reply to
Lobster

thanks for this. Any idea what guage stainless mesh would be best? Would need to be fairly rigid I guess. Also, any thought on how to make a handle for it?

Reply to
Lee Nowell

if you can get stainless mesh that's top banana about 3mm or 1/8" minimum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"top banana"???

is that what you ask for? and get told "yes mate course it is..." as he counts your twentys?

will old cooker shelves do the job for the OP?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K