Best 1/2" router?

I'm in the market for a new 1/2" router and not sure what to get. Firstly it'll be used to joint some kitchen worktops. After that, it'll go in a router table.

I have a 1/4" Power Devil which I assumed would be crap and disposable but has seen years of active service and just keeps going. So I got a Wickes 1/2" which was on offer (actually from the same factory as Erbauer) and while it's OK, it's got several niggling features, it's impossible to get spares/accessories for and the only way to attach a

30mm guide bush is to buy several expensive Trend accessories which I think is money better spent on a different router.

The budget is =A3200 (although cheaper would be good). I've been looking at Trend, Freud, Triton and Ryobi.

Trend seem quite expensive for no obvious benefits (other than presumably compatibility with lots of expensive Trend accessories).

Axminster have a Ryobi ERT-2100V on sale at =A3100 which seems like a very good price. The only mention of an included guide bush I found on another website was of some obscure size. What's Ryobi quality like?

The Freud at =A3150 seems to tick the immediate boxes but I wonder if I should spend an extra =A350 for the Triton's ease of use in a table?

My concerns about the Triton (apart from the price) are the availablity of 30mm guide bushes and whether Triton are still in business. Also some sources list a 2400W model and others a 2000w model. Triton's website isn't helpful as it describes a 2000W model with a rated power of 2400W.

There's also a 1400W Triton that's thirty quid cheaper.

Anyone got any experience of these they'd care to share? Are there other makes worth considering?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mike

The grandaddy of 1/2" routers is the Elu 177E/DeWalt DW625/CMT - all basically the same beast.

I've got the CMT version. Good points - really solid build and lots of power, very good collet, moderate points - reasonable fence with fine adjust, not so good points - height adjust had a tendency to slip unless locked (fixed by buying the fine height adjust add-on).

Given that solidity, power and good collet are what counts on a router table - I'd make it a candidate.

dom

Thats the benefit of the Trend machine IMO, which I doubt is made by them anyway. You can get a huge range of accessories that will just 'fit' without any trouble.

If I were buying from scratch I'd go for Trend.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Any of the first three are usually going to be ok.

They are usually well made and often based on classic machines like old Elu models etc. The "standardness" is good. Other aspects will appeal in various degrees depending on how you like the ergonomics of the original models. (some don't like the handling of the original Elu 1/4" machine and hence don't get on with the T5. Personally I really rate my T5, so each to his own).

Middling usually.

The Freud and Triton are both well suited to table use with big easy to reach height adjusters built in as standard. Both have a feedback speed control and can run to low speeds - that makes it good for use with big diameter cutters. They can also plunge right through the base, that give more working height on a table.

As far as I am aware they are still in business. I believe they mounting bush fitting is standard (but I am not sure), however they certainly do kits of buses etc. See:

model. Triton's website isn't helpful as it describes a 2000W model

For table use I would stick with the bigger machines.

I have T5 I use for mainly handheld work, and a Freud FT2000E used mostly in the table. I would be happy to buy either again.

Reply to
John Rumm

Triton, followed by the old Freud. Haven't used the current Freud. Triton is particularly good in a table.

The DeWalt with the asymmetric pillars (dust extract up one pillar) is a really good freehand router, provided you buy it a 1/2" collet (standard spec on the US model, available as a spare here).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have exactly the same pair, and like John I would buy both again. My Freud doesn't see much handheld work, just the occasional worktop type job. The depth adjuster is good and the addition of the cam lock ensures that the depth won't change in use. Using it handheld the plunge action is smooth and the depth stop works well. The speed control is very good and the power is ample. The only issue I have is that the switch is a bit inaccessible when it's in the table, but then I really ought to fit an NVR switch anyway.

Reply to
pcb1962

I have a Freud 2000 in my table where it has been for seven years. I make a lot of doors in hardwood (and MDF), so it is regularly swinging panel raisers. It's a good solid machine.

I also have an old Elu 1/4" which I love for hand held work, but my favourite is a very very old (1970's) B&D D4 non-plunge router, which is always on the bench with a 1/4" round-over in it.

None of these was especially expensive. But all quite indispensable. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Overpriced IMHO. The Freud 2000 does everything the T9 does, for less. The T5 is yet another copy of the Elu 96, which was overpriced, has a clumsy depth adjuster and is restricted by the 3/8" max collet that you can't get tooling for. Not a bad router, but it's not a 1/2" router and it's expensive for a 1/4" router. IMHO, routers need 1/2" bits for pretty much everything, except for a lightweight freehand 1/4" (as another poster says, you can justify one of those just sitting around with a roundover bit in it).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

T9 is now the T10, don't know whats changed. Is the Freud compatable with all the Trend accessories?

I wasn't suggesting the T5, the OP was looking for a 1/2" router.

I think Trend's great strength is the huge range of goodies that fit straight on. If I were buying I'd be prepared to fork out a bit more for that benefit.

JMO

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yup generally for things like guide bushes...

Much of the trend stuff (jigs etc) works with any router.

Reply to
John Rumm

better still it takes most of the cheap American ones too. I got a whole set of guide bushes for a few quid, in a box too. The trend ones are more accurate, I don't doubt, but I also don't care.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow