BES charging postage

Anyone else noticed that BES now charge a fiver carriage on orders under £40 (ex VAT)?

Shame really, it was one reason I often ordered from them even if Screwfix would have been a bit cheaper for the actual items. I'm sure the decision must have been driven by the amount they spend on their carriers, but that's as much down to them sending orders in dribs and drabs because they don't have everything in stock, which probably won't be much alleviated by charging for small orders.

Still at least they haven't gone the way of CPC and penalise customers for their poor stock control by charging extra for partial deliveries or making you wait until they have everything in stock. (Do CPC still do this?)

amen

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Copyright (c) Sirius Cybernetics Corporation (formerly Microsoft)

Reply to
John Stumbles

OK guys, always being on the lookout for a good deal for DIY "stuff".....who are BES & CPC ?

These damn TLA's !!!

:-)

Col

Reply to
Colin Forsyth

BES =

best/widest selection of plumbing stuff at mostly good prices. For obscure copper stuff, toilet syphons etc. CPC =
'electronic engineers supplies' like a turbocharged Maplin. Good for burglar alarms, multimeters, scart leads etc.

You missed TLC-direct.co.uk Electrical wholesalers with a comprehensive technical documents section. Can't think of any other TLA merchants.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

I've never known them do either in 6 years or more of using them.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Toby writes

Not here -my record is nine months

It just turned up and I asked myself WTF is this, then I remembered.

BTW, has anyone noticed the 12 torch set in the latest flyer for £1.60 or something ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , Colin Forsyth writes

You've not looked in the UK diy FAQs then

Reply to
geoff

Neither have I, over about 5 years.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Eh, well, ummm, correct.

Oooppss, is that me banned ? Where do I find them ?

Col

"stuff".....who

Reply to
Colin Forsyth

In message , Colin Forsyth writes

They are to be found at:

and it contains a host of other useful stuff which you might find of interest

Reply to
geoff

---8 BTW, has anyone noticed the 12 torch set in the latest flyer for £1.60

Which flyer? I've just got the Tools extra and can't see it in there.

What I'm after is something like the little Blackspur torches you see in markets for 1.50 - 2ukp (2 x AA cells, swivel head) but properly made and ideally with a decent bulb. Since Blackspur & Rolson tend to be me-toos of proper tools I imagine there might be a well made version somewhere, but I haven't seen one. (Maglights etc aren't much cop when you're trying to stand the torch on a surface and point the beam in some arbitrary direction)

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Women always generalise

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm sure they did a few years ago: I remember wanting some stuff urgently but ordering other stuff to make up the order to the free-postage level, then finding that I'd have to either wait for the other stuff to be available and they'd post it all together for free, or pay extra for partial deliveries.

I was impressed (not :-) when the new catalogue came out recently to find that several items I tried to order from it were already discontinued!

-- John Stumbles

-+ The experiment to demonstrate the existence of Sod's Law by dropping slices of buttered toast failed. That's Sod's Law.

Reply to
John Stumbles