Bending a radiator?

30+ years ago we had a 2 storey extension built and a whole-house water heating woodburner installed at the same time. The chap that installed the woodburner and associated plumbing recommended a curved radiator in a bay window. I took his advice. He toddled off with an existing rad one day and returned the next with rad curved to exact profile. Works perfectly to this day. Rad is single panel about 6ft x 2ft 6ins with a relatively tight radius. I asked how this was done- rolled to radius, seams rewelded and pressure tested. Pretty good for an overnight job.

This Spring we will have our 30+ yo gas boiler replaced. Guy that's doing it has recommended that some older rads be replaced, including the curved one, as powerflushing might uncover some pinhole leaks. He doesn't know where to get it replaced.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Has the old system had inhibitor used - and kept up to date?

Other thing is modern boilers run at a lower temperature so need larger rads, like for like.

My rads are 40+ years old, and none have leaked. But I've been careful to keep the inhibitor up to date.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nick explained on 08/02/2015 :

Probably no help at all, but....

t'other night I was watching How Its Made and the subject was radiators. It covered the old style bolt together section cast iron type and the modern panel radiators. The latter covered panel radiators of various types, including making specially shaped ones and curved ones to order.

Might be worth contacting a radiator manufacturer direct and asking?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The one I knew of in Kingston on Thames didn't actually make rads - just bend/modify ready made ones. But I've no idea if it's still there - fitting rads under windows seems to have gone out of fashion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would have thought the easiest solution is to have a series of smaller radiators.

I would ensure that these also have top access to ensure all the radiators got equally hot by coupling top and bottom of each radiator onto the next.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Inspect it carefully for any sign of leaks/staining. If none, keep it.

Old panel radiators are made from much thicker steel, and have a much longer life than anything you can buy today.

If it fails at a later date, you can replace it at that point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What procedure do you follow to achieve that?

Reply to
Michael Chare

If you're determined to ensure it lasts another 30 yrs, you could always pickle & hot zinc dip the old one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Um,

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks Andrew. My thinking entirely and at present the rad is sound. I have checked thoroughly. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Inhibitor used but no strict regime. Infrequently might be a better desc. Soft water system so *perhaps* not quite so critical. Radiator size would be good even at lower temp. At mo the trv is kept at about 60%. Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Just google curved radiators. I had dozens of hits. I don't suppose they'll be cheap.

Reply to
harryagain

Not a good idea with copper pipe and fittings.

Reply to
harryagain

When my Dad fitted a radiator to the bay in our house, he started with a straight one, rigged up a cats cradle around the corners with a run of two lengths of rope in the centre, inserted a stick, and started turning. Fitted perfectly. He may have cut a template in cardboard to get the curvature right (this was 1971).

Reply to
Jethro_uk