Bending 22mm copper pipe

I am intending to use two sections of 22mm copper pipe for a curtain rail in a bay window, using three bracket supports from the ceiling. Getting a template should not be a problem, and the final shape (in two halves) will be two "S" shapes, one end being a tighter bend than the main 'sweep' of the curtains. They will then be capped at the ends and painted with hammmerite paint and hung.

Can anyone tell me what the tightest bend achievable is without rucking the metal, and where I could get this bending done in the Sheffield area? And if some pipes are better quality (heavier gauge?) than others

Ron

Reply to
Big Ron

Copper isn't really suitable for this. Heavy curtains, or someone tugging hard on them, will very likely bend it. I think light guage steel tube is normally used for this, and wardrobe rails, etc.

Just mesuring off my pipe bender, bending radius to the inside of the pipe is about 74mm. You might get away with less with a well- fitting bending spring if you anneal the pipe, but there will likely be some trial and error if you are trying to push it to the limit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

22mm copper would be strong enough provided there is enough support. TBH three supports for a bay doesn't strike me as enough even for steel tube and I think there maybe interesting tendancies for it to twist. One assumes that rings or tab topped curtains are going to be fitted so supports have to be though about as the curatins won't be able to draw past them.

Seems strange to use (expensive) copper and then paint it as well. Steel electrical conduit I'd expect to be cheaper and hire a bender.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got a novel idea - go buy a curtain pole

Reply to
Slider

You abject fathead.

And how would you bend it?

Reply to
Big Ron

I think it would be ok for most curtains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Might be worth hiring a pipe bender from any hire shop. A floor standing one will be easier to use than a hand held one as 22mm requires a deal of effort to bend unless annealed first. You can buy the hand variety from about 20 quid upwards - although I've no experience of the cheaper ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rubbish!

Can't say Ive seen anyone doing a tarzan act on curtains.

Reply to
George

I was going to do the exact same as you and weighed up the price of the copper pipe and came across long curtain poles in Aldi that were fancy extendable type,these were £4.99 each and got two. Bent them at the relevant corners of the bay and secured them at both ends and one inner sleeve in the middle of the pole and hung with pass through support. These were mild steel anodised to look like silvery chrome.

Reply to
George

Charming! Not the best approach when eliciting advice ...

Still, it may be the way people from Sheffield normally behave. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Seconded - the floor-standing one we hired (we had 28mm stuff to do) was very good.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

No kids or cats then...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmm - didn't know that you could anodise steel; aluminium, yes, but as the anodising of Aluminium produces a form of Aluminium oxide, I would have thought that 'anodised' steel would have just produced what we call rust. Someone please correct me.

If is it 'electro-plated' and it came from Aldis, I wonder just how long the plating will last? Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Its easy to pull curtains down, just accidently stand on them.

Reply to
dennis

If you fancy a go on a 22mm pipe bender then email me directly. I am working at the Rutland Hotel for the rest of the week.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Funny that...my curtains were made to measure Dennis.

Reply to
George

They'd be better if they were made to measure your windows.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have: it was crap. Couldn't get a bend without puckering on the inside. Took it back (to Screwfix) and bought a Hilmor and never looked back.

Reply to
YAPH

If you make trumpets the old way you bend the tubes by filling them with ice. You have to use detergent and water so the ice doesn't just break. It may work.

Reply to
dennis

Dry sand is how some exhaust makers make bends.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby