Bench grinder advice please

Because it would take ages to bolt together and be useful for only one thing - cleaning up existing threads which is hardly the most pressing use in the world.

If you've got hundreds of these to do forget files and drills. Get a cheap grinder. Might have been an idea to have said you had hundreds at the outset and then we could have given the right advice to start with.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Sounds way over the top if just for this.

Protect and clamp the tube in a vice. File the end square (if you can get a scrap nut on the thread this will give an excellent guide to filing it square). Then chamfer it slightly starting with the file to get the rough shape then use emery cloth to get a better finish to the chamfer. Next use a needle file to reclaim the start of the thread. Carefully screw a nut on by hand keeping it square and run it up and down a couple of times.

A bench grinder of course can do most of this, but possibly requires more skill not to do more harm than good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do realise she now says has several hundred of these to do?

Reply to
Dave Baker

What about using a drill bit sharpener?

Reply to
EricP

I wonder how long they are... just make sure the tool rest is adjusted, press the end on the wheel and give it a twizzle, a quick brush with a wire brush, done.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yup. Trouble is I've been away and had some catching up to do. Should have read the whole thread first. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you could try sticking each piece of rod in a cordless drill and giving it a quick spin with the end against an oilstone or other abrasive?

Reply to
Steve Walker

The do, but generally, if there is a thread, there is the expectation of being able to get to one end of it to put a nut on it.

If you can get a nut on, you can get a die on.

In order to have a thread that needs a wrap around die, you need a wrap around nut to put on.... Now I have seen these on leasdcrews, but that is a specialized application.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually Anna, the simplest answer is to take them to a local garage and let a MAN do it;-)...probably take less than ten minutes for a hundred. And MEN have the right tools for these jobs ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Axminster yellow Perform grinder with the geared-down wet stone - £30. It sounds like a concrete mixer in action, but it's a big slow cold stone for doing woodworking tools on too. And the price is excellent.

Personally I'd do it with an angle grinder, not a bench grinder. Hardly ever use my bench grinders, but I never put the angle grinder down.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have a brilliant solution: they are threaded rods, so put the nut on the *other end*! (Yeah I know, the thread is damaged at both ends.) Moral of the story is to always put a nut on before cutting a thread. Then I'd use a grinder and wire brush and undo the nut.

An ordinary die may have trouble doing anything useful on stainless steel.

Reply to
Nick

Also bench grinders are meant for "proper" jobs, where the trueness of the stone and its structural integrity nay be an issue. Whipping the corners off threaded rod could compromise this. Angle grinders are, on the other hand, designed for this sort of thing.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

... but make sure they don't forget the washer......

Reply to
Andy Hall

And if you flutter your eyelashes at them they'll do it for nowt.

That's what having the right tool does for them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's why you keep a dressing tool handy to true the wheel.

I don't fancy your chances of putting an even chamfer on a 4mm bar with=20 an angle grinder.

Reply to
Rob Morley