belt sanders

If you are going to buy just one, then go for a good quality random orbit one like the Metabo 450. This one has variable speed and also allows you to set two different orbit sizes - 3 and 6mm which also affect the agressiveness of the sanding action.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And will cost you £140.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Worth every penny.

Consistently well reviewed on both sides of the Atlantic.

You might remember previous threads about jigsaws in terms of the substantial difference between the decent and the cheap and nasty. Before I investigated that, I was of the opinion that all jigsaws were of limited value.

I did the same comparisons with RO sanders as well - tried several out. I wouldn't claim that the difference is as marked as with jigsaws, but there is a valuable difference between the £30-50 jobs and (say) the Metabo and Festool.

I didn't think that the Festool ETS150 ROS was worth the price tag of £240 vs £140 for the Metabo SXE450. Festool have two models with 3 and

5mm orbits and Metabo does it all in one product which I think is a really useful feature.

I recently looked at 1/2 sheet finishing sanders. In this case, the Festool RTS200 was quite a lot better than Bosch and Makita in terms of the finish quality, paper fixing and dust extraction, so I went for that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But the OP only wants to strip some paint from his garage fascia............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes.... However, if one is going to buy one tool and the choice was between a belt sander and an ROS, then one would also want it to be versatile.

A belt sander is similarly priced to a good ROS anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably cheaper to replace the fascia

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What, and throw away what might be perfectly sound wood that's miles better than the usual cheap stuff found in the sheds?

For sanding multiple coats of paint, _personally_ I would get the worst off with an 80 grit zirconium resin fibre disc in an angle grinder. The guard should not be more than slightly proud of the disc.

Only then would I use a ROS/belt sander to get the rest of the paint back to bare wood.

If the OP is stripping paint of an older garage, it would be well worth using the right dust mask for toxic dust in case the paint contains lead.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C