Belgian toilet cisterns

Can anyone give me a bleedingly obvious reason why two identical WCs with maybe a metre difference in head are performing so differently?

The higher one seems to suck like a ... , and leaves only just enough water to cover the "S" bend. The other one circulates and leaves a normal amount of water in the pan

I don't actually want to get too involved (for obvious reasons0 but can anyone give a few pointers as to why the first seems to have an over active syphon?

Reply to
geoff

Is the stack properly vented? I would guess that the falling water from the higher loo is capable of exerting a greater suction because the height of the fall is greater than the lower one. In fact, if water is being pulled below the trap level in the upper pan, the lower one may be causing air to be drawn into the soil pipe via the upper pan.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

geoff was thinking very hard :

The flow from the higher one will hit the bowl faster, making the speed of exit faster. The faster exit once started will be slower to come to a stop, so more of the water in the bend over flows before it stops.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When you say a one metre difference in head do you mean the cistern is mounted higher on one than the other?

If so, it seems to me that the water has greater chance to get up to a higher speed from the higher cistern.

Reply to
Murmansk

No shit sherlock

good to see a newbie cutting his milk teeth with a sense of humour

Reply to
geoff

This is something that has changed in the past 12 months since I was last here (which I should have mentioned). What you are alluding to is a design problem which would have been there from build.

Reply to
geoff

In message , Murmansk writes

Well, yes - if it had always been like that, but the upper one worked like normal last year

Reply to
geoff

Can anyone give me a bleedingly obvious reason why two identical WCs with maybe a metre difference in head are performing so differently?

The higher one seems to suck like a ... , and leaves only just enough water to cover the "S" bend. The other one circulates and leaves a normal amount of water in the pan

I don't actually want to get too involved (for obvious reasons0 but can anyone give a few pointers as to why the first seems to have an over active syphon?

I suggest a descale..... inlet and outlet.

Reply to
Nthkentman

.eternal-september.org>, Tim+ writes

Well if its got a Drago (?sp) valve or similar instead of being open vented the valve may have stuck since you last saw it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'll google and check

fancy having such a thing named after you, eh ?

Reply to
geoff

.eternal-september.org>, Tim+ writes

Oops. Not Drago but durgo.