Beko washing machine rattling noise when draining

My missus likes to keep me busy, so a while back she put a tub of cotton buds in with the washing. They are just the right size to get stuck in the drum holes, and some even got through. Since then I've found a few in the filter at the bottom front right-hand side, but I've not seen any for a few months now. However, the drain pump has started rattling a bit. I've switched it on with no filter fitted, and it does make the noise even with nothing stuck in the impeller, and it goes quiet if I press the shaft a bit. So that seems pretty conclusive to me. Can I assume that the missus has broken it, or is it a known problem with Beko machines that is likely to happen soon to a replacement pump, meaning that we may as well live with the noise?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Bless. ;-)

A good choice on her part then.

They can do that, especially when they aren't loaded (with water) and / or get a bit of wear.

Yes, but keep the conclusion to yourself (well, and us of course).

I think the main thing Beko are known for is spontaneous combustion but the good news for you is that pump is probably self extinguishing.

Joking aside, I can't help you specifically on the Beko but I have hear some pumps that rattle as you describe (especially when they start sucking air at the end of the drain cycle) and I've only changed a couple in my life, mainly for leaking. They weren't expensive (c 25 quid) or difficult to change (YMMV of course).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, of all the things she's done, and there are of course many, this is perhaps the most inspired. I can't complain too much, though. I left her MacBook on a lit gas ring for about ten minutes. It didn't catch fire, but melted a big hole in the bottom. Fortunately, I was able to dismantle the thing and remantle it in a second-hand case off ebay.

I remember that from a few years ago. I think it was a different model in the news, and I'm hoping it doesn't affect all of them.

It does seem to be worse when it's running dry. Presumably the shaft is rattling about more.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

('remantle', I like it ).

FBF I think it was (mainly?) tumble dryers (and fridges?).

Probably. In a way I quite like the idea of an induction motor 'rattling' a bit (as long as it was lateral float not bearing wear) as it suggests the magnetic 'action' is balanced along the end of the motor. ;-)

Can you feel any sideways movement on the impeller?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So are you saying there could be cotton buds still in the works. Most devices do not like this sort of treatment.

My Panasonic sometimes makes a noise like a deadened jingle and yes its the little impeller in the drain, but one cannot actually feel it hitting anything so maybe pumps and stuff do get noisier with age. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes. About half a millimeter.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Hmm, I'm not sure that sounds 'good', assuming the length of shaft from the front motor bearing to the end of the impeller is particularly long (and would magnify any slack in the bearing).

OOI, if you can get to the pump easily (sometimes you can see them from underneath if you lean the machine over), can see the bearings on either end of the motor (they are often of the 'open' design) and can put a drop of heavy oil on each end, then see if it stops you 'rattle'. If it does then it would suggest the bearings are on their way out (the ones I've seen were the plain oil-lite / sintered type) and the oiling might just keep the pump running for a bit longer (and quieter). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can do with it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre