beginner's electrical socket question

In one of the rooms in my house I have found that one of the two electrical wall sockets in the pair does not appear to work at all. Sorry to ask such a beginner's question but what is the best way to diagnose/fix the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Raphael

Reply to
lesshaste

In message , lesshaste writes

Do you mean one of the two sockets in a double socket outlet? If so then best thing to do is just replace it

Reply to
chris French

Yes that's it. I wasn't sure if replacing it would do the job. What could have gone wrong?

Raphael

Reply to
lesshaste

At about £2 for a new double socket you will probably never know the answer. If the socket was switched then blame the switch. Otherwise just blame old age and forget about an autopsy.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

usually burnt out contacts within the sitching mechanism

Reply to
Paper2002AD