Before I rip the floor up....

....Which is going to be a pain, and I am hopefully moving in a few weeks.
I live in a ground floor flat, and it has a huge void under the floor. For the last few weeks I have heard a noise in the kitchen which sounds like water running through the pipes. Got no loss of water pressure, no sign of leakage, but it's me, as if I turn the stop cock off it stops.
Any ideas to any possible cause ??
Ta.
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:26:13 -0000, "Nervous O'Toole" <abc 123> wrote:

Why not move then?
If you disturb the flooring trying to resolve this issue then a buyers surveyor might have cause to question why the floorboards have been taken up.
You can presumably answer honestly about not knowing about a leak under the floorboards. "Honest guv, I tend to have my stereo turned up a bit when I'm at home".
PoP
"Nervous O'Toole" <abc 123> wrote in message

like
turn
I had that recently, and it was a leak in the old lead pipe. You don't day if the flat is new or old, but I would look at the lead (if you have any!) first.
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:26:13 -0000, "Nervous O'Toole" <abc 123> wrote:

If the void is "huge" then what to do is find the joists and remove enough of the boards ,either complete or enough to get yourself down there to have a look . If you are selling the flat then any surveyor worth his salt is going to hear the noise and ask questions . Anyway you might not even move so you will still need to find out what is causing it . Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:26:13 -0000, Nervous O'Toole wrote:

You have a leak, somewhere after the stop cock. Always assuming nothing (tanks, cisterns etc) are not filling...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The fact that the noise is coming from under the floor doesn't necessarily mean that the *leak* is under the floor - if it just sounds like water flowing through a pipe.
Does the rising main come through the under-floor space before getting to the stoptap? Are there any pipes fed from *above* the stoptap which go back down below the floor?
If the answers are "yes" and *no" respectively, you are hearing water flowing up the rising main on its way to a leak somewhere above floor level - such as a burst pipe feeding an outside tap.
--
Cheers,
Set Square