Beezeblock wall with a few chiselled holes in it.

I have a bathroom which is slightly shorter than the length of the bath (bath is 170cm room is 165cm) The previous owner has got a bath in there by chisling out a hole in the breeze block wall which is about

70cm wide and 5cm high to get the bath in. If I feel under the bath I can put my hand right through to the inside of the outer brick wall.

Further along the wall, underneath the window there is a toilet which has a waste pipe which goes into the breeze block wall (without going through the external brick wall) then runs along in the middle of a gap in the breeze block wall for about 50cm before coming out of the wall (back into my bathroom) for about 50cm before then going out through both walls and into the waste pipe. So basically some of the breeze block wall is resting on a waste pipe, albeit around the pipe it has been cemented up. I know this sounds pointless but thats what the pipe does!

The wall is fine otherwise and seems very solid its on the upstairs floor, built in 1966 but its a situation which is a little concerning and I have the following questions which if anyone has any advice on I'd much appreciate.

  1. I had a homebuyers report done on the house before buying it, do you think that this is something which should have been picked up in the report and would I have any recourse to action against them?

  1. I want to replace the bath with a smaller 160cm bath so there will be no need to go into the wall with the bath. If I want to reinforce the slot which has been chiseled out of the wall what should I use and is this a good idea?

  2. Is it advisable to try and move the waste pipe or is it best just to leave it as it is?
Reply to
dp

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see photos. Can you upload some to a web site?

Speaking as someone who is 6' 3" - I wouldn't buy a house with a small bath, so you may be reducing your re-sell potential.

In fact, I'd quite like to replace my bath with a deeper one (not longer, for similar reasons), any suggestions?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

What a ridiculous reason for not buying a house.

Reply to
Grunff

Thats what I thought, afterall only 3ft to 4ft of each of us sits in the bath.

I think he needs a jacuzie.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

breeze block walls are especially good at self support, due to the depth of the blocks. If youre left with a hole after replacing your broken bath, you can fill it with breeze block, brick, stone, or cement mortar.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Perfectly reasonable to me.

The corner bath in a house we once lived in was too small to even sit in properly. I will *never* buy another house with a corner bath.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Agreed. As far as the waste pipe is concerned, I would chop a bit more block out, immediately over the pipe, and support the blocks above with a light-weight lintel (the sort which is made out of a single sheet, corrugated in cross-section. And then put some mortar back, between the pipe and the lintel to seal it all up. At least the pipe wouldn't be supporting anything then. [It probably isn't now, TBH - 'cos blocks hold themselves up quite well when you cut an aperture in an established wall].

Reply to
Set Square

What I really meant was: "I wouldn't buy a house that didn't appear to have room for a standard bath".

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I'd just brick that up with some more blocks.

I wouldn't think the pipe is holding up the wall, it's probably just been cemented to make good.

If it's not in the way leave it. If it is, move it.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Thanks for the replys so far, very comforting.

I'm at work now but once I get home I'll upload a few photos.

I can see the big guys point but I didnt appreciate the situation when I bought it in my naivety. However, luckily everyone is not 6 foot 3!

Reply to
dp

Oh yeah and by the way Sir Benjamin, I was at your place on Friday for my Christmas Party - Knowslely Hall!

Reply to
dp