Beetle identification

I have in my loft a few suspected beetles.

They are of a similar shape to a ladybiard, yet are about a quarter of the size.

Markings are black with white splotches (or vice versa).

Are there any sites on the 'net with pictures which would help to to identify them please?

thanks

Reply to
phil

Carpet beetles commonly called wooley bear,search on google will give you the answers

Reply to
Alex

Thanks very much. Looks like they don't do any harm, but I'm curious what they're doing in my loft (no signs of birds nests up there, etc).

What is a good, readily available treatment for them?

thanks

Reply to
phil

I mean they don't do any harm to wood, but they do to carpets.

Any treatment for them must be dog and cat friendly.

Reply to
phil

A few years ago, these started to appear in our house. I never traced the source. My only theory centres around an artificial Christmas tree with real pine cones that was made in China that we bought the same year that the thingys appeared.

FrancisJK

Reply to
FrancisJK

Ahh, that ties in with my experience... and we won't go into the wigs made with human hair from god knows where...

Reply to
BillV

Having my lunch, so won't ask about wigs.

What about the pine cones, what was your experience?

FrancisJK

Reply to
FrancisJK