Beeswax ?

That is wonderful.

As for beeswax polish we use "Wood Silk" a bees wax and oils polish in an aerosol can. The modern convience of being avialable in the supermarket and being easy to apply but doesn't have those horrible silicones or require messing about with hot wax and turps. Wood really does come up well with it.

We do have a can of Mr Sheen, it's used to lubricate curtain tracks or poles nothing else and most definately not "polishing". It's terrible stuff, if repeatedly used it builds up to an uneven hard misty layer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lemon or orange oil are other possible additives.

Reply to
S Viemeister

So in those years long gone by using the likes of vinegar, salt, water, and baking powder was fruitless was it. I don't think so. They may not have any scientific merit but they worked and still work today. There are many people who prefer the old fashioned methods and just because you discredit it doesn't give it any less merit in my book. I don't like Tesco products because of my circumstances with my daughter so I have to use other methods and having used them I see no difference in using modern canned methods. I can unblock my drain with baking powder salt and vinegar. You may use Mr. Muscle or similar, yours costs £3 mine £1. They both have the same effect and I see no difference. Not all of us can use bought products from Tesco.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

That's the "Sheen" mister. ;-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Interesting that all the hard natural waxes are virtually insoluble, but can be finely dispersed in the softer waxes. With toluene polish the whole thing goes off so quickly that the hard particles remain small enough to be hand-buffable but, in slower solvents, they form larger clumps that have no shine.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I generally put a cup into a saucer. However, protecting the surface from hot crockery is what table mats and trivets are for.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Ali foil, water and a drop of fairy liquid works well, no need for the rest.

Reply to
dennis

Probably, but they had bugger all else. Thats why disease was rife. They developed decent detergents & sanitizers as soon as they knew how.

If they had no scientific merit - how did they work then? 'Natural goodness'? 'Cosmic Vibrations'? 'Ley Lines'?

Look up 'Surfactants' then you might understand how detergents work. Baking powder salt and vinegar do not possess the same properties.

Complete and utter bollox. You simply cannot unblock a drain with baking powder salt and vinegar. You could make a cake or season your fish & chips, but there is no way those items can dissolve a typical drain blockage.

BTW, I don't bake cakes using sodium hydroxide, neither do I use sulphuric acid on my chips.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

get silicone spray instead. Its the cats pyjamas for plastic-on-plastic bearings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am sure even you knew what I meant about scientific merit. What I mean was they may not be today's choice when there are other scientific products out there. But I think you already new that. Salt is an abrasive and as such works to cut through grease. Vinegar does much the same. I use them every day so I know what they do in my house. I don't need to look anything you suggest up, thanks.

Well I managed to unblock my sink with them ingredients. It cut through the grease and my sinks been running free since. While they may not unblock it from a cloth stuck down the hole, neither will MrMuscle. I use what I use and no matter.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Disease is rife today too Dave.

Anyway your manner of posting I can do without I find you too aggressive with your Bollox talk and Bugger this and that. I will leave it there thanks and bid you farewell.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Well, I'm as sceptical as you regarding most of the advice, but after 10 years of trying to get rid of an embarassing encrustation in the upstairs loo with all kinds of commercial products (including the black Harpic varient which claims to include HCL ) to no avail, I bunged 500ml of distilled vinegar down it & it worked a treat after 24 hours (I'd left some of the other stuff for days). All that was left was some sediment which flushed away. I was on the verge of replacing the bowl.

Bramble-stick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick

You seem to think the word scientific is evil in some way?

Define the phrase 'cut through grease'. Neither salt nor vinegar are able to emulsify grease.

There are none so blind etc...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Errm no. Not in 1st world countries it isn't.

In other words, you don't know what you are talking about and therefore can't continue the discussion.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thought you would take that stance, comical really and entirely predictable. I just don't like to argue with people who's arguments are made up of the words bollox and bugger as their way of bullying their way through the argument.

Lets face it you get your arse kicked on here plenty of times without me adding to it. Prove to me that what you use are better for me and my family than what I use. You cant.

I knew as soon as I made my last comment you would be on here claiming a victory late at night, what a sad little life you lead. Absolutely nothing you have said has convinced me to divert to Tesco and buy chemicals. Thousands of people stick to their old fashioned methods and they aren't in hospital rife with disease.

Anyway for the record YOU HAVE WON. Ooo is that OK for ya? Make you feel like a man? Please

Reply to
Samantha Booth

And in the paragraph below you use the word 'arse'. So arse is acceptable to use, but bollox and bugger aren't?

I can, having a basic knowledge of chemistry, but you refused to look up how surfactants work on the grounds that;

No doubt you can provide some evidence that your greenwash, natural 'chemicals' (but we won't call them that, because chemicals are bad and have something to do with that nasty science thingy) work?

Since non of them are able to emulsify grease that might be difficult. Can you explain how salt 'cuts through grease' for example?

Not as sad as people with no knowledge of chemistry who swallow greenwash rubbish whole.

You are buying chemicals FFS! What else would you call acetic acid, sodium bicarbonate & sodium chloride? Why are they 'good' and other chemicals 'bad'?

You sound just like Stewie out of Family Guy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, we know these are at least fairly safe for humans since they've been used in cooking for many a year.

Commercial products will add all sorts of things - colours, perfumes etc etc which aren't necessary to the product's effectiveness but will add to the price. And it's quite possible some of these could irritate someone prone to asthma or allergies etc.

The whole domestic cleaner market is based on advertising hype and only a tiny amount of science. I'm amazed you haven't found this in practice.

Once you move to commercial cleaners things may be different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For the *majority* of domestic issues, Sam is right that elbow grease and something acid or alkali will do the job - the only exceptions might be very greasy stuff that needs a detergent or soap (crockery and clothes and hair). In these situations most stuff is hype as DP says and all the bottles contain either something acidic (kitchen dirt) or something alkali (bathroom dirt) with different smells and packaging. There are occasions (badly blocked drain etc) where, if the bottle doesn't have a skull and crossbones on it you may as well not bother. Most drains are not that badly blocked though. The bad ones are probably the ones TMH gets called out to, to be fair.

Of course TMH is right that they are all chemicals but DP right that one is less worried by chemicals that are eaten on a regular basis!

I find similar with cement based products - floor cement, tile cement, polystyrene coving cement, fillers. More interchangeable than the manufacturers would have you believe!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

or even the other way round! Ooops.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

DearMHN You are quite right. I was not considering quick wipes or laquers. Clearly for most modern furniture Mr Sheen is suitable. I was presupposing it was quality furniture perhaps because one would not use beeswax on much else. Chris

Reply to
mail