Beeny's back

ermm, erm, yes.

They don't lose. Then after property is cheaper than before and much larger too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is so.

Well stop wandering.

You could say the same about housing. Should we ensure all car owners make money on their cars too?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you are mad.

Matt, you are learning and it doesn't work in land and housing either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If only 10% CGT was issued on properties that gained in value on the new Jubilee line, the line would have been paid for and more. Public money made many people lots of money from doing nothing whatsoever.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Take away CGT and you get closer still...

Reply to
John Rumm

Who's this "we"? The royal "we" perhaps?

I'm not short of a house - OK, I only have one, but that's all I want.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The UK. Duh!!!

Have you tried brain transplant.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"The UK" doesn't live in houses. Duh!!!

You make it sound as if the government should be providing houses for "us"...

In reality there are many thousands of empty houses all over the UK, so there isn't a 'shortage' at all.

What does irritate me is that the media tell us that the government intends to build 'affordable' homes all over the place. Apart from some emergency prefabs built after WWII the government (fortunately) doesn't build houses (or any other forms of home). How does one define an 'affordable' home anyway? :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Somewhere no one in their right mind would want to live?

Reply to
John Rumm

We must all live in tents then.

You can't read. The free market provides the houses.

You made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It isn't and keeping repeating it won't make it so.

The appearance of prosperity arises because the whole country is spending borrowed money. This can only go on for so long.

More bad banking news this morning.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Once again. If you read it often enough it may sink in...... The UK economy over the past 10 years has been, and still is, the strongest and most robust in the world.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No you don't. Governments have always taken 40% of everything one way or another. Why we should make an exception for unearned income in housing is a mystery.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The head of the most right wing government since the war

Reply to
Stuart Noble

IHT, aka the greed tax, and 100% voluntary.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And income tax.

income and CGT are inextricably bound up.

Imagine you run a store, an you buy goods and sell them. That's pure capital gains isn't it? If you are a sole trader you don't have to have income at all: Just capital gains ;-)

They ALL need scrapping and all the taxes should go on resource usage.

That would bend the market towards recycling, thrift and savings rather than borrow spend and throw away.

Eventually it will be realised, and the EU will move in that direction.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Theres a simple reason for that: It increases mobility: If you lost 40% every time you sold a house, you wouldn't ever move. You would instead probably rent always, and there would be no one to buy council houses the govt no longer could afford to maintain.

The answer is to scrap all taxes except VAT. And put that around 50-70%

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It mystifies me why anyone refers to people wanting to keep their own money as greed, especially when the State steals 40% of everything (closer to 50% these days) at the point of a gun.

And referring to IHT as "voluntary" merely demonstrates that you have no real world experience of the matter.

Reply to
Huge

One that only requires an income multiple of 7x annual salary instead of the normal 9.5x.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Because it helps job mobility. If you tax the profit people make on their house each time they move, they don't move, because they don't have enough money to do so.

tim

Reply to
tim.....