Been a good day at the Bungalow

It's not really an informative post, but I have to say I've actually made a start after months of planning and questions here...

Witten up a BNA (waiting for a builder mate to check if I guessed the fee correctly). Post off that next Tuesday or so.

Done a boat load of electrical calculations and parts research (big thanks to Adam for some offline input on this, plus all the folk at the IET forum and many others here). Formed most of a starter shopping list for the local wholesaler for the "basics" and the CU components. I'm going with Hager.

Builder mate is starting in a couple of weeks to do couple of new internal walls, opening modifications, repointing the front (I really can't face that job - I have "rustic" bricks!), screed the himalayan front room floor flat and new run of drains out the back (because we're moving everything around as part of the renovation).

After that, I'm doing everything myself, or at least that's the idea. It's a good kickstart - 7 grand to the builder, but I'm getting a lot done for that and this will really kick the project off.

Been down there today with the missus and sprogs, working under a couple of halogen site lamps (half the old wiring died, including one entire lighting circuit).

Took out some kitchen units (carefully, for resuse elsewhere) - must say that was pleasantly easy once I'd found the secret fixings. Found the gas cooker connection at last (behind a cupboard) and disconnected that.

Missus cheerfully helped (she hates this stuff). Then she had a good natter with the woman next door discussing kitchen optionssee ...

At least she has a better understanding of how much work there is to do, and how sometimes simple things take ages :-))

Long may it continue in this vein :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The hardest part is the site management, so stick with it. Try to pre-plan the next job about a week, at the least, before you consider starting it. That way the plan can change without being a surprise. Always keep a plan B at hand also. Which is normally "scream at the top of your voice. Cuss and swear for five minutes. Then get back on with it. But it's called "Plan B" for this project, right. :-)

Good luck, sir. Lang may yer lum reek.

Reply to
BigWallop

BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

Sound advice.

I've actually put a long term plan into "Taskjuggler" which is an MS-Project for linux and laid the whole job out at the macro scale. Found, for proper work projects, that sort of exercise helps keep one on track. Even if half the numbers are guesswork, it gives a reasonable overview of if any one job is taking too long.

Also did a massive costings spreadsheet, which again, isn't complete and never will be, but shows broadly that we have the budget.

Believe me - I am Mr Plan-B and Plan-C right down to Z! :-)

It was my late parent's house, so I have the advantage I know the building and having taken some of it to bits, I know it better now. I have literally spend months over there fiddling and pondering how to run pipes, cables, drains. It should mean that actual execution is reasonably straightforward.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of that! Phase 2 has more technical difficulties - that job starts 2010, perhaps late 2009 and it's to re-do the dormer upstairs and re-insulate the roof properly along with new soffits and guttering. That's a nightmare because I cannot see how to celotex it and get adequate ventilation in to prevent condensation. Plan-Z is to run a series of plastic pipes up to the high points of the void and use mechanical extraction to suck the moist air out (it's actually a known, if unusual method)

There's probably a better plan, but I really need to strip the plasterboard out and let the BCO have a look to see if anything more conventional is possible (it's a "difficult" roof for reasons that you'd need to see photos to appreciate).

But, that's Phase 2, so for now, stuff it :)

Ta!

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Well done, I often find getting started is one of the harder bits!

Don't be so hard on yourself, I am sure you are not simple! ;-)

Yup, keep us posted. Take plenty of photos as you go along, otherwise you soon forget how it was.

Reply to
John Rumm

With regards materials, I have come to the conclusion you will always miss some - either because you did not think of them at the planning stage, or they did not become required until a change forces them on you. I used to try and account for these unknowns by adding a percentage markup to the materials total, but that never seemed to come out right. These days I work out a notional cost of the labour (say price yourself at 150 - 200 a day), add that to the estimated materials bill, and then place a percentage markup (8% usually works for me) on the total figure and use that for an unknown materials contingency. That seems to work better because it not only factors in the total materials cost, but also an element of the job complexity (on the understanding that longer jobs tend to be more complex and harbour greater scope for unexpected expenses).

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. I recently completed a major refurkle of the bathroom and kept every single receipt, entering them on a spreadsheet each evening. My original budget was based on the major items - tiles, floor, electrics, boiler and new window, split into jobs and an attempt made to estimate everything. The actual suite was retained. I went some 33% over - and all for small items you simply don't consider. Or rather I didn't. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With a bit of luck she will be too busy nattering to complain.

Post a link to some photos so we can see what you have started.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth