Beefing up apartment security - insurance standards, locks, etc.

I'm moving into a new apartment, but I'm unsure of the insurance requirements for security (specifically door/lock specifications) and how they might apply.

As I understand it, the applicable standard for mortice locks is BS

3621:1998, however, this only applies for lever locks. Insurance companies usually require that such locks be combined with a latching rimlock (which I do not have).

The incumbent front door lock, which I want to avoid changing so as not to alter the external appearance of the door, is a euro profile cylinder sash lock, marked 'cylinder security'. It isn't kite-marked itself. The present cylinder is a single 5 pin with thumb knob.

My interpretation of the insurance standards is that a cylinder lock would be acceptable only if it is 6 pin, drill resistant and double ended. Changing the cylinder is a trivial job, but I would quite like to keep the thumb knob, and indeed I think that it may be a requirement under fire regulations (though don't know exactly which regulations).

I had a brief discussion with the insurance company but didn't really get a satisfactory answer.

I've read the guidelines from the assoc. of master locksmiths - and they're helpful, but they really appear to be minimum standards (i.e. 5 pin cylinders, etc.) rather than recommendations.

What standards do apply for the front door of individual apartments, and how should they be interpreted wrt to insurance approval?

Regardless of insurance status, I'd be keen to get a good quality security cylinder - restricted keys would certainly be an option as I may let the property in the future. Any recommendations? - I was thinking of mul-t-lock as they've a good reputation and we have them at work, or Evva 3KS because the keys look like some ritual torture implement. One concern that I have though, is that these locks are for the international market, and as such do not explicitly state BS EN 1303 approval, even though they meet all relevant criteria. Is this an issue?

The rest of the door is very satisfactory - and the only other improvement I plan is to install a couple of Birmingham bars.

Advice and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Check how much difference it makes to the premium. In my case it was less than £10, so I just said the locks didn't conform without even bothering to check (actually I hadn't moved in, so I couldn't check). Then you don't need to get hung up on the precise insurance requirements, and you can go for what you really want.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel