Beefing up a deck 2

Hi

If I screw a 2 x 2 piece of timber onto a 4 x 2 timber to give 6 x 2 overall, would that be as strong as a solid 6 x 2?

How about if I glued it as well?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yes, if glued. I assume you don;t men 'string' but 'stiff'

Its actually slightly STRONGER to have the pair slide over one another..

The key is to prevent shear between the sections.

I.e. what you want is a solid lump, not a crude attempt at a leaf spring..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You get most of the strength, but not 100%

Should be glued and screwed every 6". You'll need to glue it anyway to stop the interspace getting & staying wet.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sorry, yes I did mean 'stiff'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Polyurethane glue (waterproof and foams to close gaps) and closely spaced long screws will substantially improve the stiffness, but it still isn't anything that building control would pass (I'm assuming it's the decking customer, so BC isn't an issue).

Reply to
dom

Effectively this is laminating pieces together.

There are some good examples of the technique being used for the supporting beams for roof construction, even laminating and curving at the same time.

Have a look at the web site for Oslo Gardemoen airport.

Go to the photo gallery

Media --> Bildearkiv

and then pictures 6 and 8.

These don't really do it justice. The building is much more impressive in the flesh, and makes Richard Rogers efforts at Barajas T4 look industrial.

Reply to
Andy Hall

menu on site doesn't work properly with firefox, is that the Fornebu replacement?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is like watching "Allo, Allo"... ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Really?

Does with Firefox on the Mac.

Yes it is. Actually it's the old military airfield that started to be used by large aircraft because Fornebu's runway was way too short and because the approach over the island of Bygdoy upset the residents with their rather nice houses and even nicer boats. Of course, they would have been happy for Fornebu to have remained open for light aircraft since quite a few kept small aircraft there as well.

In the event, the whole thing was closed a few years ago and a large business park, mainly occupied by Telenor, was built there instead.

Gardemoen is a reasonable trip (20 mins) on the airport express train, Flytoget, but about 800 NOK (£70) in a taxi.

It's replaced the old joke in the Nordic countries about Stockholm Arlanda airport, very conveniently situated, only an hour from every Nordic capital - including Stockholm.

I spend quite a bit of time in airports and over time one develops likes and hates. Gardemoen I quite like, as airports go.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, we've said it more than once.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And if you use a normal train rather than the special airport express, it's even cheaper.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, but do the girls from the communist resistance know?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

True, but the time is more expensive.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reds under the bed? I've often suspected this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably cheaper still by bus ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

With Mr Hall disguised as a German paratrooper disguised as a nun waiting for a bus...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought it was ze chamberpot of ze vieille gran'mere that was under ze bed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't think that they run one there (they do in Stockholm).

A one way ticket between Stockholm Arlanda and the central railway station is 95 SEK on Flygbussarna and takes 40 mins asuming no traffic holdups.

On the express train, it costs 200 SEK and takes 20 mins

In Sterling, that's £7.60 or so difference, which is basically negligible considering the time saved.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some of the girls in the communist resistance I wouldn't mind IN my bed. I can be tolerant of dialectical materialism if the price is right...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

We all have our price......