Bee Behaviour

I just laid a very small patch of block paving in our garden. The ground is very heavy clay.

Where I have not quite finished tidying up beside the paving, some sand and clay has ended up a mess. (Yes - I shall be tidying up tomorrow or the next day!) But when I was looking today I saw loads of bees busying themselves. It appears that something is attracting them. But, much as I appreciate bees, I don't want them building a nest/hive/whatever just outside my front door.

Do I need to worry? Or will they just have a look around and then wander off?

Reply to
Rod

In message , Rod writes

What sort of bees?

You may have inadvertently blocked the access to an existing nest.

Also it is the time of year for mining bees to be active. They like dry, firm clay soil and *mine* holes for individual nests. Look for a bee sized hole surrounded by a tablespoonful of clay chippings.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks.

The bees are, well, bee-like. I tried to take a photo but all I have ended up with so far is a series of pictures of sand-covered muddy clay. Shall try again today. The overall colour impression is that they are towards brownish. Maybe a tiny bit larger than ordinary honey bees. They did investigate under clods and walk around quite a bit.

The soil is anything but dry. Sodden clay - and it tends to stay that way most of the year.

Reply to
Rod

Mining Bees are brown but smaller than a honey bee. Sounds more like a blocked nest access.

Mary will know more:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Since you mentioned honey bees I'm sure they won't be bumble bees.

You don't need to worry. Not that you would if they were bumble bees :-)

My guess is that they are solitary bees of some kind and don't have a sting. They won't be round long and there won't be a large nest anywhere near your patch. Just watch them, learn about their habits and marvel.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suspect they might be drinking....I get such bees in my back yard after I've watered the pot plants.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Thanks Mary. We have seen loads of bumble/giant solitary bees this year. I think more than ever before. But you are right - these are not they.

Having now found and looked at some pictures of mining bees, I think that could be what they are. I just didn't imagine they would be interested in such wet clay/sand. And I didn't want to harm them.

Marvel - yes.

Reply to
Rod