Bedroom door way - Min width

I was going to ask a direct question on this subject. But I took a shufty at B&Q web site and see that they have doors that are 610mm wide. B&Q stock code 0000003164488

If 2 x 10mm door jambs are deducted then it would appear that a door opening can be as narrow as 59cm or 23.25"

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

My bathroom doorway is 23" between the trim - all the other doorways are

29", ie 24" and 30" doors - house built late 30's.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I'm not quite sure what you're setting out to achieve!

Do you want a doorway which:

  • is as narrow as can possibly be achieved?
  • is as narrow as is legally permitted (if, indeed there is a limit)?
  • takes up as little wall space as possible?

As far as I know, 24" (about 610mm) is the narrowest standard room door you can buy. With such a door, the useable opening is *less* than you say because, when open, the edge of the hinge side of the door projects into the doorway by more than the thickness of the doorstop. I have a 24" door on a walk-in cupboard, and the useable opening is only about 22 1/2".

If this is for a bedroom, a narrow door could seriously limit your ability to get bedroom furniture (wardrobes, chests, etc.) in and out - even if you take the door off to maximise the opening.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I would suggest somewhere waist/(pi - x) as a limiting factor where x ranges from 0 for the rotund to 1.14 for the rakish.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, it can be even narrower if you buy a narrower door. Just because it's the smallest that B&Q sell, doesn't mean that it's a limiting factor.

It's quite easy to get 18" doors but they are usually used in pairs.

What exactly are you getting at?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If there are buxom ladies in the house, it might be necessary to measure round the chest.

Or at least use that as an excuse...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sorry. My question is misleading in terms of my objective. The door frame in question has a narrow width on the face where it would meet a skirting board. So I will be glueing and nailing 2 x 10mm battens to effectively reduce the doors width. Or I may just run the planer over the new skirting board until it matches the narrow part of the frame.

Thanks anyway.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Making a doorway artificially narrow to suit a skirting board seems to display an extraordinary mental priority system! (If you don't mind me saying so!)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

OK, just be careful if you intend reducing the door to fit the narrowed width. You don't get much to play with in a lot of doors.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q