Bedding toilet pan with tile adhesive.

A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that the guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the tiled floor and that he didn't use screws at all.

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor tile. The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it without screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice to use fix a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

TIA,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Bed it onto white silicone - you know it makes sense!

Reply to
Phil L

And what will you do when you find you need to lift it for some reason ???? It has been suggested on here that you raise it on some matches ...squirt silicone under it and remove the matches after the silicone has set and presumably seal the edges with more silicone .I thinks thats what was posted anyway ..Wasn't that long ago .

Reply to
Stuart

Well to be honest, I've never had to lift one before except when the bathroom suite was being replaced.

I think that was also me asking the question a few months ago when I was I was fitting our downstairs loo onto a wooden floor. In that case I did use white silicon but the pan was screwed to the floor. In this case the possibility of doing away with the need to use screws is appealing.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes silicon is the way to go - and even if it's not spaced off, which is something I didn't think of, I got mine off some time ago with a thin bladed knife without any bother at all.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It will work, but silicone is better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Monofilliment fishing line, string, wire, or anything else strong and thin works well also to saw through.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Paul Giverin saying something like:

You could use PU foam in the same way - let it set and cut off the excess. Pretty solid fixing, ime.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Fair enough. Having listened to what everyone has said, I'll screw it through the tiles into the wooden floor and use silicon as a bed.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I would imagine dental floss would work very well. You could even wind it back on the spool afterwards for reuse... ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel