Because it is the season etc...

This comes on topic eventually...

The annual present from work is a turkey. A frozen one. I've only been there for 3 Christmasses and most of the folk waxed lyrical over the

*really* big turkeys they used to be given.

The ones I received over the last couple of years were 8 or 9 pounds and I was happy with this since there's only so much of the stuff that a family of three can cope with the smallest now being a bit over 2.

This year the thing is alost 17lbs. As it is, we've come up with a plan to cook the whole thing, bought a big roasting tin, will have a cooking day making pies and stuff to freeze.

I'm only going to do that once so next year I plan on splitting the thing in half.

Food safety says I shouldn't really defrost it, cut it in half and then re-freeze half (unless I want to risk some interesting bugs).

How would you lot go about splitting a 17lb frozen turkey? Lengthwise.

I have a feeling that a bow saw would be the best way.

  1. Blade is disposable so you can use a new one and keep things clean
  2. Fairly long throw.

A friend says hacksaw due to hardness.

Suggestions?

warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Well let's hope you don't end up like this . . .

Set Square

I recall our biology teacher at school sawing a pig's head in half on the bandsaw in the woodwork shop. However, I don't think that can have been frozen -- from the mess it made, you would have thought he'd sawn up the whole class of kids. Woodwork teacher was not amused.

Sorry, no help, but it brought back that memory...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Router & a straight edge...................................................

Dave

Reply to
david lang

That would be my choice. Holding the turkey might be a problem and the chips of bone but once split you could quickly rinse under cold water to get rid of those. The cold from the rest of the turkey will quickly refreeze the slightly thawed surface before you've bunged it back in the freezer. I might put the freezer into super freeze mode for 24hrs before hand to make sure the turkey is seriously frozen to start with.

Frozen stuff isn't that hard.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Best way would be to have a word with your local butcher. High street not mass murderer superstore...

Reply to
Adrian C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Warwick saying something like:

Just chainsaw the bugger.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Good idea. And chuck half away. ;-)