Beam calculations for a Balcony

Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direciton. I am going to have a large balcony built (4m along side of house x 3m sticking out) with 2 brick pillars holding up the outer 2 corners and a beam and block floor. I am trying to size the beam that will sit across the 2 brick pillars to support one side of the balcony floor (the other side supported by the existing house wall).

This should be a basic calculation, but I am struggling to find any websites / books / downloadable tables where I can input my criteria and get a beam size out. Also, I need to find out what allowances would need to be made for things such as snow loading for example (not that we get much snow in Lincolnshire!). Any good reference books or sites would be much appreciated. I hope to do the works under a building notice but obviously will still have to supply my calcs to the building regs officer. Many thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Reply to
Country Girl

Not sure if this lot will help

there are loads of calculators there, I assume one of them will suit

Reply to
Robbo

Thanks for that Robbo, will check the site out!

Reply to
Country Girl

Don't forget to check with the planners and building control before you spend any money.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Will do Peter. I just want to get a handle on the beam calcs first so I can discuss with the planners and building control officers what the best way forward is.

Reply to
Country Girl