BCO want "magic words" for UPVC windows

BCO wants some magic words in the spec to justify "how the windows acheive U-value of ". Will the phrase from screwfix description: "28mm Sealed Units with Pilkington 'K' glass" be sufficient, or do I need to say "filled with ..." etc ? He mentioned something about 19mm gas-filled. Is this another way of acheiving required U values ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 13 Feb 2006 03:25:06 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

He wants to know that your choice of windows will have a maximum U-value of 2.0W/m²K (for uPVC or timber, 2.2W/m²K for metal). Simply writing on the plan, "windows to 2.0W/m²K" won't cut it, as 90% of builders wouldn't know whether what they're buying meets the requirements (and why should they, that's the job of the Architect or plan drawer). He needs you to state _how_ it's going to achieve a U-value of 2.0W/m²K; ie, does it have a low-emmissivity coating and what is the gap between the panes?

Getting a full plans approval is not an end in its own right. The point is to make sure that the plans can be relied upon on site, and that if followed, the completed work will comply.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Yep. I'm doing the work, so I have not been so fussy in that regard. However, if what you say is correct, then giving a manufacturer and exact model should suffice also.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson