BBQ

Microwave then put it over the coals for long enough to char the outside. The second stage is optional. :-)

Reply to
John Williamson

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I get hint of chargrill on the outside and properly cooked (just) all the way through.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You need a better circle of friends :-)

SWMBO spent 3 years at catering college and has trained me well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's a very kind invitation, Tim. What time would you like the whole newsgroup round? We'll bring some beers.

Reply to
Adrian

soup

I'd better order a pallet of bricks then everyone can help me make a BBQ big enough! ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK everyone, forget the beers & just bring a brick.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

On 20 May 2014, Tim Watts grunted:

I'll enjoy watching and learning when we all come round; but till then - how do you do that, assuming a constant grill height: do you just pile up or spread out the burning charcoal?

Reply to
Lobster

Ours has two, three position grills. It's the one in the main picture here;

You can also tilt the grill so one end is higher than the other.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pile more towards one side :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Once its all white, use water or beer to cool a section to stop flames and burning.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a good use of any poor quality lager that finds its way into the cooler :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I find if you get the technique right you can get foot that is nicely cooked through, but still nice an juicy and just slightly crisp on the outside. Marinates and dips etc seem to take on extra flavour when used on stuff cooked over direct heat like that.

There is also the social aspect of being outside with friends or family on a hot night rather than cooped up in the kitchen...

Not forgetting the BBQ banana ;-)

slap a banana in its skin on the cooling BBQ - turn occationally, but leave it until its black and starting to weep. Transfer to a bowl, and slit the skin on the inside of the curve with a sharp knife (it will be weak and thin now).

Inside will be hot mush caramelised banana. Sprinkle ona half teaspoon of dark sugar (muscavado or similar), then douse in dark rum. Enjoy while piping hot!

Reply to
John Rumm

Throw away banana, drink sauce :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As I mentioned elsewhere, the barbecues I have attended don't seem to include competent cooks.

On a hot night, I would probably prefer to serve cold food. In any case, with a bit of planning, it isn't necessary to be cooped up in the kitchen when entertaining. It is the same situation as a dinner party, but outdoors. Of course, if you want to do a lot of outdoor entertaining, there is always the continental option - a covered outdoor kitchen, or one that opens directly onto the garden through french doors.

Sounds horrible, but I don't like bananas to begin with.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

From the Jeffrey Dhamer cookbook I guess??

John

Reply to
JTM

Don't think I have seen that one... any good?

(my technique is really a case of marinade first to add flavour and protect from over heating the outside. Don't cook over the charcoal until its had a few mins for the fiercest heat to die down. Seal / flash all round on the higher heat initially, but then move to a cooler bit to cook through. Having a trowel handy to shove coals about helps so you can create hotter and cooler sections.

Reply to
John Rumm

We obviously went to the same BBQ training camp :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did you also invent the Rumm Baba?

Reply to