BBC Radio 4, Analysis - Wasted Youth

In fact it is.

Or rather mathematics is the *language* we use to describe what we have always known how to do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As has been shown above it's possible to tailor the explanation to the audience and precis GPS operation to one or two sentences. Avoids the 'boring' chants.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One retired teacher I know, who is still a good teacher (judgubng by the odd occasion when I've seen him at work with a group of kids), has given up working as a supply teacher, because in a lot of schools now, especially secondary ones, trying to teach has become more a session of riot control and tests of will than education.

The attitude of a lot of kids round here is that if they can sign their name once a fortnight at the dole office, that's all the education they either want or need. Mind you, they can usually work out their entitlements to the penny in a flash and woe betide the DSS clerk that gets it wrong...

Reply to
John Williamson

It's not a matter of *fact*, it's English usage. A philosopher would know that.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It's more like negative and positive feedback, eg catching a ball: I'll move forward a bit, that's not under the ball, I'll move a bit more, no that's too far, I'll move back a bit, etc.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

There was something on last week's QI that cause me to shout at him, it was so bizzaire I can't remember what it was. I'm going to have to start writing them down.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Maths is a formalism. It is but one way to describe the observed world, or, as applied maths, to predict what happens next. But it is not the only possible description, nor the only possible means to arrive at the result. You can describe, even explain, analogue computation in mathematical language but that does not mean that the analogue computer ?in as much as such a device can be said to have intention or purpose? is 'doing mathematics'. It is a 'category mistake': "to describe one thing in terms appropriate to another"

Reply to
djc

I'll skip over the nautical jokes to point out that it's "boson".

Reply to
Huge

What's that you say? Boozin?

Reply to