Bay Window Lead Roof Maintenance

My bay window lead roof was replaced about 5 years ago and looks in good condition still. However, I'm doing some general exterior maintenance this year and wondered whether there is anything I should do to it at this stage to preserve it's life. Would something like "Thomsons Roof Seal" be of benefit, or in general should lead roofs not have any type of artificial covering?

Thanks

Reply to
24by7

No, I really do mean 5 years! I'm showing my ignorance when it comes to lead roofing. My thoughts were really that whilst I was up the ladders painting would it be worth coating the lead roof in something

- sounds like it's not though.

Reply to
24by7

Is there a nought missing there? A lead roof after 5 years should look like it was put up yesterday, apart from a few minor water marks. After 50 (fifty) years it might be starting to show it's age depending on how much direct sun it gets. The constant thermal expansion/contraction will work harden any parts that flex and the lead will crack.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It shouldn't crack if it has been installed properly, with the right guage of lead, and the maximum dimensions of the lead sheets adhered to, and fixed so as to allow for the thermal expansion.

Reply to
<me9