Bay window curtain rails

Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you bay window dwellers have?

TIA

Ron

Reply to
Big Ron

I have a standard Swish plastic rail, which is simple and unobtrusive, but I've fitted a couple of the ornate 3 part types with rings and finials. A bit of a fiddle as I recall.

Reply to
stuart noble

I got my rails from a local curtain shop. They're screwed into the "ceiling" of the alcove close to the window frames. Two windows exactly like yours cost me £75 including fitting.

Reply to
Another Dave

Dunno if they still do but some decent stores like Liberty's of London could bend good quality steel rails using a jig - a bit like a pipe bender. The sort of rail made of plastic which you can bend yourself tends not to be very free running.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Copper piping bent at the corners of the bay window ie shape to fit if ya can borrow a plumbers pipe bender. Then paint the copper pipe with hammerite white paint.

Reply to
George

And do visitors know that it cost £75?

Thats an helluva price to pay just to hang some curtains.

Reply to
George

Try cleaning them! :-) I wipe mine down every year or so with Mr.Sheen and they glide beautifully

Reply to
stuart noble

IMHO they usually crack where they're bent unless it's a curved bay. And then the runners jam on the cracks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gotta be a gentle sweep round the 135 bends. The curtains stand off the windows a bit there I suppose but I can't say it bothers me. I don't like the rail showing when the curtains are closed but I suppose that's just so last decade.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's what's so good about the custom bent steel stuff - the curtains follow the widows pretty well. It's also corded which may make a difference - especially if they're motorised. ;-)

Bamboo poles and rings definitely date. French pleats rule. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you want a corded rail then these are the dog's b..s if you've got heavy curtains.

your bay is very close to 1225 x 1225 x 1225 mm then it could be your lucky day. We ordered a Silent Gliss track for our bay and the suppliers managed to get the dimensions out by 100mm and had to supply another to the correct size. So I've got a brand new unused track hanging around, it wasn't worth their while arranging shipping back to their factory.

Probably best if George doesn't follow the above link....

Reply to
Toby Sleigh

If you want a corded rail then these are the dog's b..s if you've got heavy curtains.

your bay is very close to 1225 x 1225 x 1225 mm then it could be your lucky day. We ordered a Silent Gliss track for our bay and the suppliers managed to get the dimensions out by 100mm and had to supply another to the correct size. So I've got a brand new unused track hanging around, it wasn't worth their while arranging shipping back to their factory.

Probably best if George doesn't follow the above link....

Reply to
Toby Sleigh

Hahahaha hahaha hahaha Well mines behind a pelmet so I'd be mad to pay more than £15 just for a rod to hang the curtains.

Reply to
George