bay window curtain rails

try this firm....I have fitted 2 of their bay poles and both look the dogs cahunas.

will also need one of these :-

work out the angle of your wall and then be able to divide the angle in

2......also follow the intructions very carefully and check your measurements.

mark

Reply to
markybay

Try

think this is what John Lewis sell
know someone with this I think it was in the order of £400-£500 fitted and is "the mutts nuts". Curtains can be pulled easily right out of the bay very easily and can take heavy curtains. I think this is what SWMBO is angling at for our bay after seeing it in action...........

Reply to
Ian_m

The links are very good and are the closest I've found to something I've been trying to do.

Like the OP, I have a bay window and wish to use a single pair of curtains which follow the shape of the bay. I want to be able to draw the curtains on the runners PASSED the curves, as the sides of the bay are quite wide.

I *really* want black metal poles (I've seen loads of straight poles which look like they're powder-coated, slightly textured black metal finish) but have had no joy finding such a solution for my bay.

It's only the one bay and I really want to achieve this look to finish off my living room, so would be willing to pay extra for something customised, onto which I can hang my choice of curtain - although a cheaper, DIY solution is naturally preferable.

Can anyone advise whether such an option even exists or recommend a supplier in the NW (Manchester/Salford ideally) who can manufacture something bespoke?

Reply to
JustMe

snip

I believe the John Lewis in Cheadle has a special pole bending service. You measure the bay and then they work out all the angles. Know someone who has done it twice and seem very happy with it.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

I think we're back in a full circle. John Lewis Cheadle is where my wife bought the original rail with hinges ! We live about a mile from it.

I didnt realise they did a pole bending service I will go and pay them another visit....

Thanks for the suggestions...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

I'm there - cheers Alistair, see you there Tim!

Reply to
JustMe

I wanted to have 'false' curtains over the walls, and curtains to come from behind them round the bay. Oh - and motorised. ;-) I got looks from the experts like I was mad.

I've got a rather nice wood panelled bay - probably meant to look like false shutters - which I'd spent ages repairing and stripping back so it looked good. So wanted it exposed by day, but still have decent heavy and full curtains which looked nice when drawn. And with TV and speakers at that end of the room, needed an easy way of drawing them.

You can get cheap and nasty track which you can bend to suit. And an external cording set for it. It's the sort of stuff you'd use round hospital beds.

I wanted something better.

Never found it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell me if this would run...

22/28mm Copper water pipe bent to fit the bay. If it must be jointed, joint using a bit of thinner cu pipe inside, soldered in place. Internal join, not external.

Pipe attached to wall using screws: drill hole in rear of pipe large enough to take csrew head put screw in wall, sticking far out enough to give necessary clearance Sit pipe on screwheads Using bendy nozzle, inject something into the screw head holes in the pipe that will set and prevent the pipe lifting off the heads.

Or possibly cut keyhole slots, no gloop then needed.

Now, for curtain rings, cut rings into C shapes so they slide past the rear fixings unobstructed. Since this reduces ring strength you will need a greater number of rings.

Paint to finish with something as tough as poss, such as car spray paints.

Does that run?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Putting a pole round a large bay for heavy curtains can cause a proble because you may need more than 3 brackets which hinder the passage o the rings round the bay. To get over this you need a system that ha split rings. Here is an example of a wrought look pole system:

can buy this direct or have a blacksmith make you a similar syste but if you go with a blacksmith make sure that he gets the rings jus right because they can be a bother if they continually stick. You can also get a corded bay pole system where there is a track se into underside of the pole. This can look very nice with a high curtai header such as pinch pleats or similar. With just a gathered curtain yo end up seeing the track (often white for some bizarre reason) even whe the curtain is closed. Cait

-- cait

Reply to
cait

I think I've found the solution to *my* and probably the OP's woes!

Following advice in the thread I phoned John Lewis and spoke to someone who immediately knew what I was talking about. No problems, on display, come and have a look.

They have a system with which you chose the pole style, thickness and decorative ends. The curve of the bay is provided by two joining pieces which are essentially straight lengths of the pole with numerous grooves cut in along one face. This can be simply bent to the shape of the specific corner and joins to the standard lengths of pole either side.

They do it in a "waxed steel" finish which is close enough to the iron look I was going for.

All in for all fixing + curtain hooks + bends + poles + decorative ends etc, £200 - not the cheapest curtain pole ever, but it does exactly what I wanted and looks right too.

Now I've got to wait 4-6 weeks for the curtains, which will hopefully take some of the overblown, bouncy bass from the hifi!

Reply to
JustMe

In message , JustMe writes

Good choice. We have one of these. Got it a few years back, £150 well spent, we have heavy lined velvet curtains on it and they swoosh around the bay no problem.

Val

Reply to
News

The problem is with cording it internally. Because you have bends both 'positive and negative', the cords will try and pull out of the slot on one of the bends. The only way is with an external cord using external pulleys which looks just plain naff. Once there's some slack it will tend to droop and show, and a tensioning system isn't practical with power curtains. One way might be some form of flexible twin worm drive with the motor on the end of the track - but this would be bulky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

jointed,

clearance

I think it would be very difficult to cord it internally, and would likely not look good.

It can be done externally without pulleys along the track, by looping the cord through each and every curtain hook or ring. Smooth cord would be needed, nylon. This would keep the cord at the back of the curtains out of sight.

This approach gives you pull open pulls, but not closers. As you point out, adding closers would mean a lot of exposed cord, and it'd be in the wrong place as well.

yup... tough to diy too I think. Maybe someone more determined will play with a 3v motor, plastic gears and rubber wheel for grip.

Its so much easier with straight track, cording is simple there, even with an old track that doesnt support cording.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Hi there,

I think this is exactly the one that we bought.

For our size window it cost £275. It did look very nice but it went back pending trying to find something a bit cheaper.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is possibly what we iwll have to pay to find something that looks nice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith