Baxi Wentworth

A friend's father has a Baxi Wentworth gas fire which has suddenly stopped doing anything.

The friend is a retired electronics engineer, but is in ill-health. He has measured the transformer in the power supply and the primary is open circuit. Apparently the output of the power supply is on an RJ11 plug with 6 wires going to it from the pcb. The pcb has a chip on it with no markings whatsoever.

He has searched online, but not found anywhere that has this psu in stock.

The psu has a number on it, EN60742, but the pdf for this lists power supplies from 6 to 24 volts.

Any suggestions or supplier of spares would be a great help.

Reply to
Bill

I'd expect an electronics engineer to be able to look at the PCB - especially voltage ratings on capacitors etc and work back to what might be a sensible voltage for the secondary of the transformer. Armed with that info and a suitable transformer out the junk box (don't tell me there is an electronic engineer without a junk box!) something should be rigged to confirm what is needed.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

BS EN60742 is a specification for isolating transformer and no help in this case. The motor in the fire is 24v ac so that could be the secondary voltage? Somewhere like

might be a place for tip top list price spares. Lots of other baxi transformers seem to be 24v

50VA. Possibly a pretty standard tranny from maplins etc.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Google is your friend. according to

230V transformer supplying fire with 24V/12V supply. gas council part no E25 230 Baxi part no 245406
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks, Bob. I've passed the relevant info on in an email, so I hope that helps him.

One of his disabilities is his sight, which is why he couldn't see the capacitor values etc.

Reply to
Bill