Baxi thermostat destroys Freeview TV picture

We have an old Baxi Bermuda back boiler which, when switching off the cnetral heating (and to a lesser extent, the hot water) causes interference on the digital TV picture such that the TV loses the signal until the heating is switched off. During the winter, with the central heating on, this process happens every few minutes. With analogue TV this was an inconvenience since all that happened to the TV was a stripy line for a few seconds. With Freeview, the whole picture freezes, breaks up and disappears.

Does anyone know whether the thermostat can be replaced with a more modern one that won't cause the interferrence or, failing that, can one obtain some sort of interferrence suppressor?

Cheers,

David

Reply to
David Chaplin

One of these

across the thermostat contacts should do the job.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Improving your aerial installation through the use of CT100/PF100 cable, and either a screen socket, or a home made socket made from F Plugs and an F Barrel should help. (If you have a wall socket)

See the articles about aerials on:

available from:

uk.tech.digital-tv is a more relevant ng

Reply to
Michael Chare

If the stat is wiping out his TV reception it's probably wiping out his neighbours as well.

The stat is old and tired and is opening too slowly, eventually it will fail completely, Get it replaced, HRPC may well have a the part but if it's part of or even the gas valve itself messing with it unless you are "competent" is not recommended. Check for suppression components I'd expect them to be present but might not be adding some will help but not ultimately cure the problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got about 7 brand new stats and they all do this..or at least three..never tracked down which ones are the prime offenders..

Digistats is the way to go.

I'll relegate the old mechanicals to the box of useful bits...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I believe it has to do with the dipole in the aerial! If one side is grounded to the rest of the aerial then you get problems if it is not (i.e. both ends/side isolated) then all is Ok - so I am told

Nomad

Reply to
The Nomad

you have completely disregarded mains borne interference bypassing the aerial completely.

Which in my case is the issue.

It gets in EVERYTHING - even the audio amps. My PABX will ring (some of) the phones too.

Must get a round tuit...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er . . isn't the offending stat part of the boiler - in which case a digistat isn't an option?!

Reply to
Roger Mills